Root beer, ginger ale, ginger beer

Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:19 pm

I saw there is a mead and cider section but no soda section on this forum.

Is there anybody brewing root beer, ginger ale, ginger beer?

If not, does anyone know another forum about this?

All I could find was some 'extract' brewing which is not what I am looking for.

I am looking for roots and herbs brewing, the AG equivalent! :aaron
virtualpaul

Re: Root beer, ginger ale, ginger beer

Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:26 pm

There has been a show on Ginger beer and a show on using bittering agents other than hops including herbs and spices as alternatives.

Other than that there hasn't been too much discussion on those topics. I have not had any experience in them but there might be others on this forum that have. I know many of the people here are crazy experimental. Also, I know Doc said he keeps root beer on tap at his house for his kids.
theobrew

Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:56 am

The ginger beer show was about real ginger beer, not the non-alcohol stuff they sell today.

I've seen a couple of recipes for root beer from scratch, but there was some concern about one of the traditional ingredients being unhealthy, perhaps even carcinogenic. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of stuff floating around the internets about it. I would imagine you'd have to do some digging through some older books & texts to learn more about it.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:16 pm

Doing various sodas, including root beer, is so simple there is not much need for a discussion forum for it. I taught my daughter how to do her own sodas back when she was ten. All her friends thought that was really cool. She still makes it now that she is married and has a kid. I love her sarsaparilla! It makes the most incredible "root beer" floats.
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:50 pm

Sean Z Paxton has an interesting looking recipe on his website, http://www.homebrewchef.com. I have not made it; only ever done the extract versions personally.

Morebeer has a soda section their forums that looks relatively active.
KurtH

Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:03 pm

Bugeater wrote:Doing various sodas, including root beer, is so simple there is not much need for a discussion forum for it. I taught my daughter how to do her own sodas back when she was ten. All her friends thought that was really cool. She still makes it now that she is married and has a kid. I love her sarsaparilla! It makes the most incredible "root beer" floats.

After trying 6+ recipes for root beer I can confirm that it is far from easy for me anyway.
Unless you do only 'extracts' which is not what I am looking for.

A sarsaparilla soda would be nice to do too...
virtualpaul

Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:03 pm

KurtH wrote:Sean Z Paxton has an interesting looking recipe on his website, http://www.homebrewchef.com. I have not made it; only ever done the extract versions personally.

Morebeer has a soda section their forums that looks relatively active.

Thanks for the tips!
virtualpaul

Return to Off Topic Stuff