Re: Stir plate/starter advice please

Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:06 pm

snowcapt wrote:Fermcap is a good idea, as well

Holy crap, I didn't realize I would have so many questions!

Are you advising to use this specifically in the starter, or were you just saying to expect quick/violent fermentations after pitching?

I actually just picked some generic LHBS anti-foam up to reduce the risk of boilovers, although I'm pretty sure this is the same thing as fermcap and can also be used to reduce the risk of fermentation blow outs. So if I used it in the boil, will it still be active for the ferment or do I need to add more?
Corporal, BN ARMY

If you're not a part of the solution, your'e a part of the precipitate.
Duzdisluk Infektid

Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:10 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:You are going to want speed control regardless.

Will do. I priced a Hanna Instruments stir plate from my LHBS today. $100. DIY is definately the way to go.
Corporal, BN ARMY

If you're not a part of the solution, your'e a part of the precipitate.
Duzdisluk Infektid

Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:10 pm

I brew 5 gallon batches at a time and have only ever used and needed a 2L flask for my starters on a stirplate. As stated above, if a larger quantity of yeast is required, I will brew a lower gravity batch of beer first to build up my yeast. Not only does this get more beer in my house but allows me to hone in on my session beer recipes for those nights during the week I can't totally imbibe thoroughly.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:25 pm

Duzdisluk Infektid wrote:
snowcapt wrote:Fermcap is a good idea, as well

Holy crap, I didn't realize I would have so many questions!

Are you advising to use this specifically in the starter, or were you just saying to expect quick/violent fermentations after pitching?

I actually just picked some generic LHBS anti-foam up to reduce the risk of boilovers, although I'm pretty sure this is the same thing as fermcap and can also be used to reduce the risk of fermentation blow outs. So if I used it in the boil, will it still be active for the ferment or do I need to add more?

Put it in the flask. It boils over pretty darn quickly.
snowcapt

Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:49 pm

Oooh, I get it now. You're talking about boiling in the flask. Just a wee bit slow this evening.

Coincidentally, I happen to be listening to you on a SS from 2011 where you were on Brew's Line and won DOTW. Cheers brother!
Duzdisluk Infektid

Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:54 pm

If you are boiling in the flask, weigh/portion out your DME in a metal mixing bowl, get the water to a boil and dump it in, whisk it together, and pour through a funnel back into the flask. If you add water to malt and try to boil, DME will get stuck on the bottom of the flask.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:05 pm

Great tip Spider. I'll do that.
Duzdisluk Infektid

Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:11 pm

Duzdisluk Infektid wrote:Oooh, I get it now. You're talking about boiling in the flask. Just a wee bit slow this evening.

Coincidentally, I happen to be listening to you on a SS from 20 :P 11 where you were on Brew's Line and won DOTW. Cheers brother!

And I won them BOTH!
:drink
snowcapt

PreviousNext

Return to Fermentation