Setting up new Keg

Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:23 pm

Hello all - I just wanted to review the proper techniques when setting up a new keg. This would be my second and had some issues originally getting everything properly adjusted. So I wanted to eliminate issues from the get go.

I justed bought another 1/2 keg yuengling (vitamin Y!). I just placed into kegerator over night to cool and settle down from the trip.

When I hook up everything should I start low on psi and work my way up. I know I need to get beer temp on second pour and adjust co2 to the temp accordingly based on 2.6v/v but it's it easier to raise the psi than lower? Also what's the best method in lowering psi if too high? Do I need to release pressure from the keg?
Last edited by andramont726 on Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
andramont726

Re: Setting up new Keg

Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:25 am

Make sure the keg is thoroughly at serving temp. If it started warm overnight won't be long enough.

At 40F your keg of Yuengling will be at 10-12psi. If you have a coupler with a pressure tester you can confirm this, but most of us don't have such a thing. I hook my commercial kegs up at 10psi or so rather than starting at 3 and working my way up. The low pressure will pour slowly, but the beer will want to foam since it is in equilibrium at 10psi, not 3.

Make sure you have at minimum 8' or so of proper 3/8" beer serving line. If you have 4' of 1/4" commercial line you will struggle.
If you have the proper line and the keg is chilled and it still pours like a fire hose at 10psi then you need to release pressure, probably several times over the course of a day or so. There should be a pull ring on the side of the coupler for this.
What's on tap: Cream Ale, Imperial Blonde
Secondary: British Amber,
Primary: APA
http://bubrew.org
DannyW

Re: Setting up new Keg

Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:52 am

That's assuming the faucet isn't much higher than the keg. You'll have to increase pressure the further up the faucet is. My notes say roughly 1/2 psi per vertical foot.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing