another pellicle question

Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:51 am

OK, funk beer # 2 is in the works, 4 weeks old. A 1.040 Oud Bruin pitched straihgt from Wyeast 3763 Roselare, no starter, just a little O2 at pitching.
After 4 weeks I have what looks like a thin crusty coating across the top with some big bubbles forming. Initially I was going to rack to a secondary after 5-6 weeks, but now that I see the pelleicle formaing I am not sure.
Again, any suggestions are welcome.
Cheers.
Fritz
Beer makes you smart, drinking is art.
www.fritzbrew.com

Corporal BN Amy
Fritz Eye

Re: another pellicle question

Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:45 pm

The pellicle is starting to form but you have time to rack. I personally would rack to a smaller vessel so that there isnt a ton of headspace in the carboy. So that the top of the liquid makes a 4-6inch circle. This way you don't have as much oxygen exposure and you can age for a long time.
BrewerJ

Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:09 pm

Agreed with J. Don't worry about disturbing your pellicle a bit as it will reform in secondary. Just be sure to let it age with moving the carboy as little as possible so you don't disturb the second pellicle that reforms. Also be sure to keep an eye on your airlock so it doesnt get dry. This could lead to increased acetobacter formation and possible acetic acid notes (vinegar-like) in your beer which you don't want.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:39 am

Awesome information, also here is a response from Wyeast to boot:

I personally am a proponent of leaving these beers in the primary for at least 3 months. I have had great success with these beers even leaving them in the primary for one year.

I would let it go for a little while longer before racking.

Let me know if you have questions.

Jess Caudill
Brewer/Microbiologist
Wyeast Laboratories, Inc.
Beer makes you smart, drinking is art.
www.fritzbrew.com

Corporal BN Amy
Fritz Eye

Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:36 am

That works too, I know some people leave the beer on the primary the complete cycle. I think brewinghard has mentioned that he has done that with good results but I will let him comment.
BrewerJ

Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:58 am

BrewerJ wrote:That works too, I know some people leave the beer on the primary the complete cycle. I think brewinghard has mentioned that he has done that with good results but I will let him comment.

Yes. I have left both Flanders' Reds and straight lambics in primary for up to 18 mos with no noticeable autolysis or off - flavors. In fact I think those beers have turned out more sour/acidic than others that have been racked. My understanding is that as the saccharomyces die and their cells rupture, the brettanomyces and lactobacillus present will feed on the ruptured nutrients which helps sustain their needs over the course of the long fermentation process.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Return to Fermentation