Biofine Clear...how do you use it?

Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:35 am

I have some Biofine Clear, but am not really sure when to use it or how much to use.

Anyone having success with this stuff?

If so, how are you using it....be as specific as you can. Thanks!!!
Pouring - Infidel Porter, Pallino Wit
Fermenting - Till a rustic Saison
On Deck - Abbey Dubbel, Belgian Golden Strong maybe with brett
LukeD23

Re: Biofine Clear...how do you use it?

Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:59 am

looks like you add it prior to transfer from primary to secondary. I have never used it but it sounds like most finings, just put it in the bottom of your carboy or corny and rack over on top of it. Should mix up and drop your beer clear.
BrewerJ

Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:07 pm

I have heard that, but some people on this forum have said they use it in the Keg. Which works better is my question.

I have heard 1tsp per 5 gallons??
Pouring - Infidel Porter, Pallino Wit
Fermenting - Till a rustic Saison
On Deck - Abbey Dubbel, Belgian Golden Strong maybe with brett
LukeD23

Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:24 pm

A corny is a keg, they should work identical. I prefer to secondary in a keg and then you can easily push the clear beer into a sanitized and purged keg.
BrewerJ

Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:18 pm

I use biofine clear quite a bit. Generally I'll transfer into the corny at the end of primary, and then add biofine to the top of the keg. Then purge with CO2 and give a little shake. Then into the cooler/fridge.

For dry hopped beers I have a couple kegs with the cut dip tube. I'll transfer into the keg, dry hop, seal and purge. At the end of the dry hop period, after inverting the keg a few times I'll open the lid up and and the biofine, purge, light shake or swirl, and into the cooler.

I look at the amount of haze and aim for low, medium or high based on the manufacture's suggestion.

Cheers,
The fool.
bikefoolery

Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:45 pm

I have used biofine for about a year now and use it on every batch. I always put about a tablespoon into the keg prior to transferring. I purge the keg with co2 throw in the biofine and then transfer from primary on top of the biofine. Transferring on top of it mixes it more than enough but I also quick carbonate the keg.

Dirk
pkrid

Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:35 pm

pkrid wrote:I have used biofine for about a year now and use it on every batch. I always put about a tablespoon into the keg prior to transferring. I purge the keg with co2 throw in the biofine and then transfer from primary on top of the biofine. Transferring on top of it mixes it more than enough but I also quick carbonate the keg.

Dirk

Sounds like a quick and painless method. Much easier to use than gelatin. How long do you let the beer sit with the biofine for proper clearing?
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:10 pm

Man I love this stuff. Im probably using more than I need to but I put 1/2 an oz in per 5 gallon keg. Add it to the keg as I start transfer and then shake the hell out if the keg to force carb and mix. Let chill over night and dump the first pint or so. I would say with in 48 hours you should have very clear beer.
mkultra69

Return to All Grain Brewing