JZ Belgian Blond

Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:46 pm

Hello all, brewed JZ Belgian Blond on Feb 5 per all grain recipe. . Mashed at 150 and boiled for 90min. added the sugar at the beginning of the boil. Collected 6 gal @1.060 Kept the ferment temp on schedule at 64 and ramped up to 68 over the first week and kept it at 68 for another week when it was completed. Total 14 days. Came out at 1.009. I kegged (14th day) to 3.3vol and after 2 weeks it is still really cloudy. I know JZ mentioned to condition for a month but do you think it should be reasonably clear by then (2 more weeks)? Anyone experiance the same? After the fact I should of cold crashed and/or racked to a secondary to clear. Is there anything that I could do now to help clear up the carbonated beer? I am not looking for crystal clear beer but something respectable. Gift.
11lb Belgian Pils
.5lb Aromatic Malt
.5lb Wheat
1.5 lb Sugar
3.50 oz H. Herbrucker (2.3%AA) 22ibu
WLP 500( 2000ml starter)
Thoughts?

Thanks

Heath
Heater
hhaynes

Re: JZ Belgian Blond

Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:56 pm

Two weeks cold should be enough, but does it clear out some when it warms up? You could also search around a bit on here for tips on clearing up yeast with gelatin in the keg, if that's your problem.

If those fail, and time doesn't solve it, then you are probably dealing with a permanent protein haze.
@Day_Brew
PFC - Chicagoland Engineering Div.
_________
Primary: Berliner, RIS (for barrel), Trippel, Wit
Keg: APA, Eng. Brown, Belg. Stout w/ Bourbon Oak, BDS, Brett Experiment
anday6

Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:19 pm

Thanks Anday6, I poured a sample and warmed up to 80 with no effect on clarity. I do notice I am having some yeast residue at the bottom of the glass. Seems like I am picking up alot of yeast at the bottom of the keg. I have sampled about 6 pints over the last week. O well.

Have you heard of adding Gelatin to carbonated beer? I use it with my Kolsch's in Secondary's.

Cheers

Heath
Heater
hhaynes

Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:35 pm

It is possible that you transferred some trub from the primary to the keg. How careful were you when transferring? I usually secondary for a week or 2 before sending to the keg. If you are not going to secondary, you may want to cut a half inch or so from the bottom of the pick tube for your keg. This will allow the sediment to sit in the bottom of the keg and not be sucked into the tube and out the faucet.
Sqhead

Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:28 pm

You can add gelatin to carbonated beer no problem. Just prepare your gelatin as normal. Open the lid to the corny and put the lid back on quick it will foam. Vent and purge out the o2. Give the keg a gentle swirl and you will have clear beer in three days if it's a yeast issue
BrewerJ

Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:58 pm

I made quite a bit of belgian style beers. I use biofine clear to get resistant Belgian yeast to flock. otherwise it can be 2 months waiting for clarity. Or, just drink it, and realize the last pint was the best. :)

Cheers,
The Fool
bikefoolery

Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:31 pm

Thanks everyone for the response. I may have picked up more than usual trub from the primary. I usually do a secondary but for some reason I didn't this time. Poured a glass and will set it in the fridge for a couple of days to see if it clears. If it goes clear then I think it was a trub problem. If it doesn't then I plan on using Getatin. It still tastes good however.

Cheers

Heath
Heater
hhaynes

Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:37 pm

Update: Well it looks like I must have brought over extra trub from my fermenter as my pint test shows it is clearing on it own after two days. I wonder how much sediment I need to get through to my clear beer. Thanks
Heater
hhaynes

Next

Return to All Grain Brewing