Re: My first brew .. is something is wrong?

Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:47 pm

Even when the gravity stops changing, they are still working on cleaning up the byproducts that they produced along the way.
Acetaldehyde, diacetyl, other off flavors are all eliminated or greatly reduced after active fermentation has subsided.

The yeast work on their schedule, not yours. They don't work faster because of your magic touch. They don't know you from Adam.
Give them the time they need, and you will like the results.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:53 pm

Thanks for advice. I'm not actually drinking it now, just tasting to see how the flavor profile changes. And I'm not messing with fermentation. Letting it sit in secondary any longer imo seems pretty useless. Yeast can condition beer in bottles too. And that's what I will do. Clowns like bwc... Whatever his name is don't really help. I'm not trying to go for a record and have a beer in two weeks I understand all the concept but from the chemical point of view I see no point in letting it sit any longer.
madchemist83

Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:53 pm

Go ahead, genius.
Bottle it up early.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
BDawg

Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:15 pm

Thanks for recognizing it. I will bottle it on the weekend. And I'll check the gravity before I do. And you don't have to be bitter about it
madchemist83

Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:22 pm

I just can't wait for My second brew.. is something is wrong posts!!!!!! :aaron

Which came first ? .....the brewer or the chemist? :mrgreen:
Eldorado/ Lemon Drop Summer IPA
German Bock
Boh Pils brewed on a 96 degree day.
gwk453

Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:54 pm

definitively chemist. Don't worry bro .. errare humanum est
madchemist83

Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:00 pm

so I checked my gravity again and it's at 1.018. Is it a good fg? or will my bottles blow up ? :pop
madchemist83

Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:18 pm

That's an apparent attenuation of about 70%, which is in line with many ale yeasts, but it is possible that it might continue to go down.
What strain exactly was the yeast you used? Some attenuate more than others. Some ale yeasts (like White Labs 001) often go to 80% apparent attenuation.

Your best bet is to give it a few more days, and see if the gravity drops some more. More time gives the yeast a chance to continue to work on the byproducts, which is important for you since you said you already racked this to secondary. That means that there are fewer cells working on reducing those compounds, so the more time you let them work, the cleaner the end product will be.

[edit] - One other thing I just remembered - the amylase enzyme you added will cause the apparent attenuation to accelerate beyond average. I'm even more confident that this needs more time especially since you added that. Also, expect a thin body from this beer, as the enzyme really wasn't necessary. There were plenty of fermentables in there and the enzyme only broke down more of the head and mouthfeel forming dextrins, which will leave thinner body and thinner mouth feel.

What was the recipe, anyways?
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
BDawg

PreviousNext

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing