English vs batch

Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:45 pm

I've been reading everything I could find on English sparge (as per John Palmer's book) and batch sparge, and for the life of me I can't figure out the differences. Can anybody please explain them to me?

Thanks in advance. :)
A pessimist is a well informed optimist.
Inodoro Pereyra

Re: English vs batch

Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:36 pm

as in parti-yle?
snowcapt

Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:13 pm

For what I understood from John Palmer's online book, English sparge is basically a second mash (in the sense that you completely drain your first runnings, and then pour the sparge water on the grain bed, and let it rest for a while). As far as I can figure, that's exactly what a batch sparge is. But is it? :?

Party-gyle seems to be (again, remember I'm just learning, so I may be completely wrong) when you use your first runnings for one beer, and the sparge water for a different batch...
Inodoro Pereyra

Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:09 pm

I don't think there is a difference. English sparging completely drains the wort and fills it back up again with however much water you need to hit your targets, let that rest for a bit (5-10 minutes is all you really need), and then drain again. They (the English) just call it batch sparging. I'm pretty sure the two are the same thing.
highoctane

Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:04 am

Hmmm, thank you Highoctane, that's what I thought.

I was starting to feel like the dumbest brewer wannabe ever... :mrgreen:
Inodoro Pereyra

Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:54 pm

Inodoro Pereyra wrote:Hmmm, thank you Highoctane, that's what I thought.

No problem. We, and by we I mean Americans, have an annoying habit of calling things French this and English that instead of using proper terms. I can only assume it is to sound more sophisticated. It gets downright confusing and somewhat embarrassing though. For example, I tried buying a french press in France last year... :oops: I felt like a complete wazzock.
highoctane

Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:48 am

Tell me about it! When I just came to the US, I'd go to the fast food joint, and ask for the burger with the "big fried potatoes"... :roll:
People looked at me like I'd just parked my flying saucer in the wrong spot...! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Inodoro Pereyra

Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:25 am

highoctane wrote:
Inodoro Pereyra wrote:Hmmm, thank you Highoctane, that's what I thought.

No problem. We, and by we I mean Americans, have an annoying habit of calling things French this and English that instead of using proper terms. I can only assume it is to sound more sophisticated. It gets downright confusing and somewhat embarrassing though. For example, I tried buying a french press in France last year... :oops: I felt like a complete wazzock.

Damn French Fries!
CRBrewHound

Next

Return to All Grain Brewing