At the brewery today

Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:58 pm

I dragged my wife and kids to the brewery today and had my first pint of the IPA. It was outstanding!!!!! Damn near had to have my 7 year old drive home though.
photoguy

Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:46 am

I dragged my wife and kids to the brewery today and had my first pint of the IPA. It was outstanding!!!!!

Wow, this thread is taking on a life of it's own!

To try to put this in beer in some sort of perspective, especially for those who are not able to try it, for what its worth if you look on ratebeer.com "21st Amendment 21A-IPA" is IMO a bit underrated - with a 93% , overall average of 3.76 out of 5, with 46 ratings. I have it as a 4.0 in my rating there, tied for 3rd out of 73 IPA's that I have posted over more than 4 yrs. I have it up there with Stone, Racer5 among others. I gave a can from my (lone) 6-pack to another ratebeer friend who has twice as many total ratings as I do, and he has it as a 4.2, which is high for his experienced palate.

Damn near had to have my 7 year old drive home though.

Yikes! do be careful out there ;)

Shaun, please don't be put off by anyong dropping the f-bomb here, no offense intended, I'm sure. It's all brotherly love, right?

So, I am hopeful to see closure on this soon, since I will go off-line Monday evening to have my spine overhauled on Tuesday morning, not sure when I will be coherent after that. (wow, can't believe I just played THAT sympathy card).

Oh, and to address the monkey diversion on this thread, as it turns out I am of french descent, actually though - a French Canadian that grew up in So Cal (Like, surfs up, eh?), so not really a cheese loving surrender monkey :)
LBrewski

Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:01 pm

O'Sullivan,
I would prefer if you gave me the exact recipe, brought the actual ingredients and yeast (to Humboldt) and brew it up on my system. I am flexible on the order of events though. Thanks in advance

HH
Anderson Valley Brewing Co. (Bahl hornin')

Hell Freezes over show
" I am gunna guess this is an IPA. Its the same color as one and kinda tastes like one"
Dr Scott 8:10 pm Sunday Jan. 14th, 2007
Homegrown Hops

Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:28 am

OK, Time to put this thread to beddy byes.

21A-IPA

Batch size: 12bbls
pre-boil wort amount: 450 gallons
end of boil amount: 410 gallons

Malt:
Rahr 2-row Pale Malt 82%
Crisp Munich Malt 12%
Crisp Caramalt 6%

Hops: (all T-45 hop pellets)
Bittering: Warrior (added at beginning of boil)
Flavor: Centennial (added at 70 minutes into boil)
Whirlpool: Cascade/Tomahawk (added at end of boil) I use 2lbs of each hop in 410 gallons of wort at the end of of boil.
Dry Hops: for my batch size I use the following hops and amounts. Cascade 5lbs ( 45%), Amarillo 2lbs (18%), Styrian Goldings 2lbs (18%), Simcoe 2lbs (18%)

75 IBUs

Water Treatment:
The water in San Francisco is some of the best brewing water and is relatively soft. I add Calcium Sulfate to help showcase the hops.

Yeast:
WLP001 aggressively pitched.

Filtration: DE Filter

OG: 17.2 degrees Plato
FG ~3.9 degrees Plato

ABV ~7.2%

Mash Temp: 159F
90 minute boil

Notes:
My philosophy on this IPA is that your first sensory experience with this beer after looking at it is the sense of smell. This is why the dry hopping is fairly aggressive, which sets you up for the taste sensation. For as aggressive as this beer is hopped it actually is not too bitter and this is partly achieved by the high mash temperature. I feel a good IPA is just not about bitterness, but about the supporting malt backbone. Some IPAs are all bitterness and rather two dimensional I really try and make a multi-dimensional beer. Dry hops are added at fermentation temperature (68F) when the beer is about 1/2 plato point before terminal gravity and it is then capped. The slight yeast activity aids in keeping the hops in suspension. Capping it avoids driving the hop volatiles off with the fermentation activity, thereby keeping the aroma in the beer. This beer is also filtered. Removing the yeast to me is important and gives the beer a clean and less astringent flavor.

One other thing on the dry hopping; This past summer i experimented with dry hopping at lower temperatures. I added the Cascade, Styrian Golding hops and Amarillo at fermentation temp (68F) and then after a 3-4 days lowered it to 50F and then added to the Simcoe. The idea behind this is to gain more of the vegative flavor of the hops, thereby mimicking whole flower dry hopping. I had mixed results.

Ideally this would be a three week beer from kettle to glass, but because of tank space utlilization, typically it ends up being a two week beer. Also, we allow this beer to sit for 4 to 5 days at 32F before filtering, which aids in clarification and greater yield in the bright tank.

I hope that is everything. PM if you have any questions.

ShaunO
Last edited by Sully on Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rat Pad...
Sully

Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:13 am

Shaun you are a gentleman and a scholar... I don't care what the ladies say about you.

Thanks, and I hope to be able to try the real thing some day at 21A!
http://www.thirstymallard.wordpress.com

"If beer and women aren't the answer, then you're asking the wrong questions." -Anonymous

BN Army Corporal; Southern Support - Gulf Coast Division

Texas is better than your state. Fact.
Thirsty Mallard

Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:44 am

Thanks so much ShaunO! Can't get this on my side of the country, so I can't wait to try and make something remotely similar after hearing so much about it!

Hats off to you! Could always send in a bottle to see how much you grimace! :P

Cheers,
Greg
JMUBrew

Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:31 am

Shaun, you rock, I think it's safe to say that this will have been worth the wait. From what I see, this is a no-compromise process, a true "craft" effort that unquestionably realizes your philosophy. Thanks very much!

Not sure I will have time to get this into a Promash version today, perhaps someone else here can take a crack at it?
LBrewski

Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:45 am

Ok, anyone have a spare 12bbls system lying around that I could use? Thanks Shaun...
Gucci Pilot

PreviousNext

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles