Roselare vs Belgian Sour Mix

Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:52 pm

Ok, so I asked a question on the latest show with the Ladies of White Labs:

Is there an equivalent combination of White Labs products that will approximate the Wyeast Rosalere blend? Nena said Belgian Sour Mix.

However, it's my understanding that BSM is a lambic blend, and that Rosalere has Saccharomyces and is also specifically geared toward reproducing the Flanders Red style. Plus, the folks over at Burgundian Babble Belt seem to lean heavily toward Roselare when producing the Flanders and Oud Bruin styles, with almost no mention of BSM.

Can anyone elaborate on the differences between these two blends? Thanks, GM
GrassMan

On Tap: American Brown Ale with Pacific Jade hop bursting
On Deck/Aging: WLP 565 Saison with Brett claussenii, WLP 540 Dubbel with Brett lambicus
Next Brew Day: Jan 22 - BCS Tripel
GrassMan

Re: Roselare vs Belgian Sour Mix

Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:43 pm

Both blends have saccharomyces (Roselare blend is reported to have a belgian sacch. strain).

Both blends have 2 strains of brettanomyces (most likely Brett L. and B.)

Both blends have lactobacillus and pediococcus.

The WY roselare blend ALSO has a bit of a sherry strain in it that the WL does not have.

I have used both blends and both seem to produce great sour beers. If you are making a flanders I would opt for the Roselare. If you are brewing a lambic, then the WL Belgian sour mix is a great choice. Either way, if you repitch these blends from one primary into another fresh batch, the successive beers WILL become more sour than the original pitches.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Re: Roselare vs Belgian Sour Mix

Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:46 pm

Well, there is only one way to find out ... brew a batch, split it, and compare the two. I'm interested in brewing some sours, so would appreciate a reply on your results ... even if it is six months from now.
Eagle Dude

On Tap: Barrel Fermented Berlinerweisse 3.2%; American Pale Ale 6.3%, Amarillo Blond 5%
Aging: Flander's Red in a 60 gallon Merlot barrel
Fermenting: Robust Porter 6.5%
EagleDude

Return to Fermentation