here is my dilema

Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:46 am

This year I decided to grow some hops. I planted, one of each of the following kinds
cascade, golding, centennial, willament, chinook.

I planted them in early march since they are perenials. watered them daily. I planted them in the garden so the soil has already been fertelized and limed from the previous year. It is also in a good drainage spot as well

here in lies the problem, I have not seen anything yet and its june, Just to see if they had rotted or if a ground mole carried them away I dug one up yesterday, and nope still there. What actually could be the problem. Since the planting we have had 2 frosts, but from what I know they had not even came out of the ground yet, and did not think this was a problem considering all of the rest of my perenials came up around this time and made it through any suggestions?
7 city country roads brewery

FBDU fortune cookie writer / brew ninja
the lizard king

Re: here is my dilema

Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:24 am

Honestly, it doesn't sound good for your hops. Were there any white buds or shoots on the rizomes when you planted them? If so, which direction were they facing when you planted them?

It would probably be difficult to find any additional rizomes this time of year, but if you can (maybe try e-bay), it may be worth re-planting. You wouldn't get any kind of harvest if you re-plant now, but it could allow them to get established for a harvest next year. If so, I would plant at least 2 rizomes per hill to increase your chances. But leave yours in the ground just in case, they are pretty resilient and may eventually sprout.
Hopscott

Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:26 am

I think the frost may have affected them. Have you tried removing the soil, carefully, from the top of the rhizomes to see if anything is going on? If they are goners, I agree with Hopscott and trying to get some ( check with Nikobrew...he may have some lying around ) and get them in the ground. That way they may get the root system established this year.

Good luck.
Sergeant, BN Army
R.I.P. Rat Pad ('05-'12)

Fermenter: Mayotoberfest
Kegged: Common, Cherry, & Apple Pie Ciders, Falconer Pale Ale, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: German Pilsner, Chinookee Wookiee
TheDarkSide
Global Moderator

Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:46 am

it seems as though the season to buy those are over I looked at several sites including ebay, and nothing, there was one that appears they still have some in stock but I have to wait for them to shoot me an email back. This sucks just might let set the summer and see what happens and if I dont get anything I will try again next year. no I have this damn trellis in the back of my garden for no reason. The f ing irony
7 city country roads brewery

FBDU fortune cookie writer / brew ninja
the lizard king

Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:13 pm

I planted last year and they all died, I think my son watered them when I was at work and killed em. Regardless how much did you water them each day? I learned (via my son) that you can easily over water em.

Oh I should add, if they still haven't done much dig one up and look for any mold or even cut one open and squeeze, do you get water from it?
Kacey

Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:16 pm

Yeah... the frost, and too much water, planted too early, will do some major damage. Esp. if you got a frost after you watered them well that day.

Better to keep them in the fridge wrapped in barely damp paper towels until you are confident you'll be frost free. and if a frost sneaks up on you - cover them, even just the ground if they aren't up yet.
ApresSkiBrewer
-
Siebel Fall '09 - BREW CREW.
ApresSkiBrewer

Return to Homegrown