Re: Time for Rhizomes to break the surface?

Mon May 17, 2010 4:12 am

Yesterday marked 4 weeks since I planted my rhizomes and still nothing has broken the surface. While I'm not freaking out yet, I'm starting to get a wee bit nervous that the rhizomes I planted were somehow injured or dead. My plan is to give them to June 1st, afterwhich if there is no surface activity at that point, I'll carefully dig down to see if there's any root activity. Hopefully that will give me a definitive on how they are doing.

Other thoughts?

-Okt
"The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind."
-Humphrey Bogart

"A good puzzle would be to cross Dublin without passing a pub."
-James Joyes, Ulysses
Oktober

Mon May 17, 2010 5:01 am

We've had some pretty freaky weather up here in NH this year. I just planted mine this past Saturday because we are still getting frost warnings. Hiw deep did you plant them.

On a side note, the ones I planted last year that didn't work out because they didn't have enough sun are about 6 feet tall right now. They have grabbed ahold of a sapling nearby and are growing themselves up that. Curious to see if anything comes of it this year. I totally ignored them last year and this year as well...maybe I'm the problem :)
Sergeant, BN Army
R.I.P. Rat Pad ('05-'12)

Fermenter: Mayotoberfest
Kegged: Common, Cherry, & Apple Pie Ciders, Falconer Pale Ale, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: German Pilsner, Chinookee Wookiee
TheDarkSide
Global Moderator

Mon May 17, 2010 2:08 pm

Oktober wrote:Yesterday marked 4 weeks since I planted my rhizomes and still nothing has broken the surface. While I'm not freaking out yet, I'm starting to get a wee bit nervous that the rhizomes I planted were somehow injured or dead. My plan is to give them to June 1st, afterwhich if there is no surface activity at that point, I'll carefully dig down to see if there's any root activity. Hopefully that will give me a definitive on how they are doing.

Other thoughts?

-Okt

Forget about them for a while, they are building their root structure. They will even produce some cones for you later in the summer.
Next year they will be gang buster.
dunleav1

Tue May 18, 2010 5:29 am

TheDarkSide wrote:We've had some pretty freaky weather up here in NH this year. I just planted mine this past Saturday because we are still getting frost warnings. Hiw deep did you plant them.

On a side note, the ones I planted last year that didn't work out because they didn't have enough sun are about 6 feet tall right now. They have grabbed ahold of a sapling nearby and are growing themselves up that. Curious to see if anything comes of it this year. I totally ignored them last year and this year as well...maybe I'm the problem :)

My rhizomes were buried 2-3" under the surface - I was following the BYO article for Hops in Containers. Our weather has not been as erratic as northern New England, so I'm pretty sure frost has not been the culprit.

The good news is that I came home from work yesterday and the first bine from the Sterling rhizome was poking its head out of the dirt. It still has a long way to go, but I was elated to see some activity. Hopefully the Centennial isn't too far behind, but they're growing.

-Okt
-Humphrey Bogart

-James Joyes, Ulysses
Oktober

Tue May 18, 2010 6:03 am

I planted three rhizomes this year, a cascade, a centennial, and a columbus. Both the cascade and centennial poked through about two weeks after planting, but the columbus has yet to do much. I thought I saw a little bit of something poking up, but it seems to have shriveled up. I'm just going to keep hoping, but I think I'll be planting another columbus next year. :)
Travisty

Tue May 18, 2010 9:27 am

Oktober wrote:Yesterday marked 4 weeks since I planted my rhizomes and still nothing has broken the surface. While I'm not freaking out yet, I'm starting to get a wee bit nervous that the rhizomes I planted were somehow injured or dead. My plan is to give them to June 1st, afterwhich if there is no surface activity at that point, I'll carefully dig down to see if there's any root activity. Hopefully that will give me a definitive on how they are doing.

Other thoughts?

-Okt

I planted two rhizomes. The first one popped up in about 3 weeks. The second one was nowhere to be seen. I carefully dug into the mound I had made until I found the little root. It was growing but in the wrong direction, and I think I must have planted it too deep. I gently brought it closer to the surface and it broke the surface about 2 weeks later. So it's possible to save it, if it's alive, if you're very gentle.
Primary: Maibock, Berliner Weisse
Bright Tank: Blueberry Mead, Printenschtout
Kegged: Scotch ale
pbts

Fri May 21, 2010 6:47 am

My first year Sterling rhizome looks to be doing well (below). Still waiting for the Centennial rhizome to break through.

-Okt
-Humphrey Bogart

-James Joyes, Ulysses
Oktober

Sat May 22, 2010 9:44 pm

Last year I planted 6 cascade and 6 nugget. All but one popped up within 2 weeks (but consider my location). The one that did not pop was DOA. When I dug it up it had no shoots and no roots. I cut it through on one end and only a small part (one side) of the rhizome was still alive.

I e-mailed the supplier (Freshops, I think) and they sent two replacement rhizomes both of which survived.

We're well into the second year and have robust bines and huge cones on most of the plants. I'm looking forward to a good harvest (knock on wood!).

Charlie
"Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
Charlie

PreviousNext

Return to Homegrown