Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:37 pm

OK - I'll let you know how the starter experiment goes once I have a free freaking weekend to brew again - I am stuck in Fresno of all places for work, and I find it difficult to brew in my hotel room. "I call it the 'whore points sheraton' " - because of the whores in this neighborhood. Get it? I don't. Thank GOD.

thanks-WOOD
Please let me know if my response has offended you in some way.
wood

Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:55 am

Are any of them hot.... or cheap?
BUB
Lunch Meet "Limpian" Gold Medalist (x2) 2006
Winner of <b>NO PANTS</b> award 2006 and 2007
Make your own beer website... starting at $10 per YEAR.
www.bubweb.com & www.momenttoponder.com
bub
Global Moderator

Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:18 am

bub wrote:Are any of them hot.... or cheap?
BUB

We feel sorry for your wife, Bub. How does she put up with you? :roll:

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Re: "ehrlenmeierenschachmeier"flask/starter questi

Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:26 pm

wood wrote:So - I just got this flask - how exactly do you do a starter with one/

do you boil with it on your stove? will it crack with the temperature???

IE - you get a starter kit from B3, put water/DME, yeast "stuff", etc. into your ehrlemeyer (sp? wtf?) and boil it on our stove? Then cool it, and then add yeast?

does this make sense?

thanks - Wood

I us ~1000ml of water with ~ 3/4 cup of DME and I boil them in a pot for about 10 mins. I then pour the wort into the erlenmeierwinkle flask and boil for a few mor mins. I do not boil in the flask for the full 15 mins because of boil overs. I find it is easier to control a boil over in a pot than it is in an erlenmeierwinkledinkle flask.

I cover the flask with a piece of aluminum foil and place it in the freezer or ice bath. When the starter is cooled, I pitch my tube of white labs yeast, add the cork and airlock and place it on top of the fridge.

I make my starters 24-48 hours before I brew. If I do not brew within 48 hours, I place the starter in the fridge.
SaintTaris

Previous

Return to All Grain Brewing