It's a Belgian!

Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:14 am

Hey gang, It's that time of year again, I need to get busy with the brewpot. I've purchased all the goodies for one of my begian favorites except the yeast. The recipe calls for wyeast 1214 but my LHBS never has all of the proper ingedients. Due to this handicap I'm often forced to make substandard substitutions. Well I don't wanna do that this time, I'll buy online if need be! Anybody know of some good online stores that sell quality yeast and are able to deliver it "live" through the mail? I'm not haveing a lot of luck in my search. I looked at the grape and grainery and they wanted as much for the shipping as they did for the yeast. That doesn't seem right. How bout it gang?
Steve
Steve

Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:19 am

I've had great luck with both B3 http://morebeer.com/ and Northern Brewer http://www.northernbrewer.com/

Travis
A very silly place... http://yarnzombie.net/Travis/

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
-Dave Barry
Lufah

Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:24 am

Lufah wrote:I've had great luck with both B3 http://morebeer.com/ and Northern Brewer http://www.northernbrewer.com/

Travis

Hey thanks travis. Crazyest thing, moments after I posted that I went fishing on some of the links on TBN and went right to the Northern brewer site! Hey FREE shipping! Thanks dude!
Steve
Steve

Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:17 am

Free shipping from Northern Brewer? Where's that secret link... I have been ordering from them for years and have never found a way to get free shipping. Morebeer has free shipping for purchases over 59 bucks, which is nice.

BTW, check out north country malt supply online for a good variety of grains at amazing prices... though the shipping will kill ya there too.

That said, I respect the Brewer's Code ideal of "support your local home brew shop". Unfortunately, my LHBS is a corner of a liquor store, where the hops are stored up against the front plate glass window, and most of the malt is in "hopped extract" form. I basically go there only for carboys, stoppers, and brushes. Northern New Jersey needs a good brewshop. We had a really nice one in Morristown a while back, but they only stayed in business a few short years -- so I'm forced to patronize brewshops on the west coast and in the midwest.

Thus, if anyone can tell me how to get free shipping from Northern Brewer, I'd be a happy mailorder camper.
Junket

Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:06 am

Junket wrote:Free shipping from Northern Brewer? Where's that secret link... I have been ordering from them for years and have never found a way to get free shipping. Morebeer has free shipping for purchases over 59 bucks, which is nice.

I have ordered from Northern a lot but don't ever remember seeing them have fee shipping. I know B3 has a free shipping program for certain items but not all. Austing Home Brew use to have free shipping but they just did away with it. I believe they have a flat rate for shipping most items.

Steve wrote:Hey thanks travis. Crazyest thing, moments after I posted that I went fishing on some of the links on TBN and went right to the Northern brewer site! Hey FREE shipping! Thanks dude!
Steve

I too have few good choices regarding LHBS. There are three in the area, one has a pretty basic supply. The onwer just annoys me(long story) but they seem to cater to only real novice brewers and can't handle more advanced conversations about brewing. Out of the other two, one just sucks. The best is this small one, like yours Steve, that is a beverage center with one wall of HB stuff. The guy who owns the store is a home brewer and is pretty cool to deal with and has a decent supply of the common HB supplies but you have to keep an eye on his prices for hardware as he can be over priced even with shipping from others. If I need something not out of the ordinary I shop for it there and feel good about it.

What I'm saying is buy locally(do that for everything else too meaing not Wal-Mart or Target) if you can for what you can but don't feel bad about getting something from the mail order shops. Hey, if you can find a friend to brew with, you could split the cost of shipping, that's what I did.

Good luck,

Rob
The more people I meet the more I like my dogs.
2DogAle

Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:32 am

2DogAle wrote:
Junket wrote:Free shipping from Northern Brewer? Where's that secret link... I have been ordering from them for years and have never found a way to get free shipping. Morebeer has free shipping for purchases over 59 bucks, which is nice.

I have ordered from Northern a lot but don't ever remember seeing them have fee shipping. I know B3 has a free shipping program for certain items but not all. Austing Home Brew use to have free shipping but they just did away with it. I believe they have a flat rate for shipping most items.

Steve wrote:Hey thanks travis. Crazyest thing, moments after I posted that I went fishing on some of the links on TBN and went right to the Northern brewer site! Hey FREE shipping! Thanks dude!
Steve

I too have few good choices regarding LHBS. There are three in the area, one has a pretty basic supply. The onwer just annoys me(long story) but they seem to cater to only real novice brewers and can't handle more advanced conversations about brewing. Out of the other two, one just sucks. The best is this small one, like yours Steve, that is a beverage center with one wall of HB stuff. The guy who owns the store is a home brewer and is pretty cool to deal with and has a decent supply of the common HB supplies but you have to keep an eye on his prices for hardware as he can be over priced even with shipping from others. If I need something not out of the ordinary I shop for it there and feel good about it.

What I'm saying is buy locally(do that for everything else too meaing not Wal-Mart or Target) if you can for what you can but don't feel bad about getting something from the mail order shops. Hey, if you can find a friend to brew with, you could split the cost of shipping, that's what I did.

Good luck,

Rob

Hmmm, well guy's mabey I'm mistaken on the free shipping thing. I haven't dug deep enough to see what minimum they require but the tags on the item page said "free shipping". Perhaps I need to look again. I'll get er done!
Steve
Steve

Return to All Grain Brewing