Re: Bugeater's Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Amber

Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:52 am

Got a situation and I was hoping you guys could help me make the best decision. About 1 week ago I added the turbinado sugar into my secondary and then racked the beer on top of it. I gave it a light stir to get things mixed up. But after a week I have seen zero activity on the airlock which led me to take a gravity reading over the past 2 days. Its stuck at 1.022 (up from 1.015 before the sugar). I am in Germany and the temp got pretty damn cold (58-60) before I racked to secondary so I'm wondering if its possible my yeast all dropped out of solution? My only logical plan of action is to re-pitch but I only have a packet of dry yeast "munich wheat beer" to be exact so I'm thinking re-hydrate about 1/4 of a package and pitch it in to get this working.

Do you guys think I'm going to get any crazy off flavors for adding the munich in there? It's all I have and it takes a while for things to ship over here.

Any help or ideas? I tried lightly jarring the ale pale to jumpstart it back to life but nothing!
Broners&Brewbies

Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:26 pm

I just brewed an Oatmeal Pecan Cookie Brown (based on a recipe in Radical Brewing) that is somewhat similar to this. I was thinking of splitting the batch and adding raisins and maple syrup in the secondary to half the batch but haven't decided. I haven't brewed with either before. Anyone have any suggestions for 2.5 gallons?
brewcrew

Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:09 am

I don't get it. The wort didn't smell like oatmeal raisin cookies. The beer once fermented didn't smell like oatmeal raisin cookies. The spices soaking in bourbon didn't smell like oatmeal raisin cookies. Yet somehow, once they're all added together, the flavor is very definitely that of oatmeal raisin cookies! Well done, Bug!

Instead of turbinado, I used a lb of amber Belgian candi sugar I had left over from a previous recipe. Just tossed it in at 10 mins to flameout.
-- Steve

Kegged: "Old Nimrod" American Barleywine
Kegged: Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Amber
linuxelf

Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:44 am

So I kegged this one up last night and added the spiced bourbon. I added it in small amounts, but ended up adding pretty much all of it. There was quite a bit of the bourbon all tied up in the spices and I didn't bother trying to filtering out that bourbon so I'm guessing I added something like 3 to 4 oz. Still, I think I may have overdone it. Oops! How much did you add Bug? It smells very spicy. It's not bad, but I think it does cover up too much of the beer. Spice flavor does drop out over time right? :)
Travisty

Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:16 am

I filtered mine through some coffee filters, and got most of the bourbon out. I only ended up adding about half of the bourbon and it seems to be just the right amount. A lot of people have requested another batch.
Stabwell Brewing

BN Army Corporal

On Tap:
American Brown Ale
Milk Stout
Janet's Brown Ale
Murphy's Over the wall Amber
American Wheat

Primary:
Citra Hop IPA
Otter

Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:57 am

I poured mine through my funnel with the mesh screen in place. It filtered out all the visible particles. when I first added it, the beer tasted pretty strongly of spiced bourbon, but after a day it mellowed to oatmeal raisin cookie goodness.
-- Steve

Kegged: "Old Nimrod" American Barleywine
Kegged: Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Amber
linuxelf

Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:20 pm

I filtered mine through a coffee filter. I think I added between 5 and 6 ounces. Like Linuxelf, it did taste strongly of bourbon for the first 24 hours but then mellowed way out.

I need to get another batch or two of this brewed as soon as I can unpack (and find) all my brewing gear.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:55 pm

WOW! That is one different beer. I have to say that it does taste like an ORC. I will also admit that I am not a big fan of this beer however, a buddy of mine took a growler of it to the local beer festival (attended by about 2,000 people) and handed it out to a select few.
The feedback was incredible. Only one gal out of about thirty who tried it did not like it! In my book it is a success.
Thanks Bug and give me you address because I made 10 gallons of it. The other 5 gallonx are going to be "gifted" out.

Weenie Boy
Weenie Boy

PreviousNext

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles