New England Hops

Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:38 am

I'm tempted to harvest my 2nd year Cascades this weekend. Just wondering if any other New Englanders have harvested yet. I feel like it's still a bit early but the cones seem to have stopped growing. Getting darker, papery, plenty of yellow goodness yet the scent seems more grassy than "Cascady" if that makes sense. Any thoughts are welcome.
mtyquinn

Re: New England Hops

Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:35 am

I haven't harvested mine yet, but I know of a local hop farm in RI that has already harvested all of theirs.
chadem1

Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:32 pm

I did a partial harvest of my cascades on Sunday in Ct. I also have centennials that arn't yet ready. You'll have to keep an eye on yours. The color of the cones and lupelin will darken. The cones will also feel and sound like dry paper when squeezed. The tips of the bracts may also start to turn brown,but don't let them get too brown. Hope this helps :jnj
Beerbreath

Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:24 pm

Harvested my hops this weekend. I'm currently drying them on a screen with fan. I will post pics sometimes this week. I also hope to brew a harvest ale next Sunday.
mtyquinn

Return to Homegrown