Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:41 pm

Ozbrewer wrote:dont foprget with batch sparging you need to vorloff each time after each batch, thats where it can get time consuming

Really? It usually only takes me about 2 liters for my wort to clear up.
"I feel sorry for those who don't drink because when they get up in the morning that's as good as they're going to feel all day."
— Frank Sinatra
Lars

Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:59 pm

Ozbrewer wrote:dont foprget with batch sparging you need to vorloff each time after each batch, thats where it can get time consuming

Yes, that is one of the major draw-backs. I usually don't recirculate enough to get clear runnings. Only enough to keep the grains out. This usually takes about a one gallon.

Kai
Kaiser

Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:47 am

Recirc takes me no more than 2 quarts each time and that takes a total of 3 mins. Hardly a large addition of time. Batch sparging from Mash to beginning of boil, with a 60 min mash, takes me 90 mins, maybe.

The whole recirc arguement always gets me, it does not take long for the wort to run clear.
Nate
http://www.nebraskabeerblog.com
Beers on tap-Schwarzbier, RyeIPA
BrewBum

Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:03 am

LBrewski wrote:I've been doing partial mash, looking at going all grain soon and was considering the B3 igloo cooler (fly sparge), but you make a convincing argument for batch sparge. Curious as to what Igloo cooler you are using and which pickup setup you have, false bottom steel braid or ?

Thanks,
-Larry

Larry,

I saved a lot of money buying my cooler at Walmart for $19, fittings from the hardware store, and a Stainless false bottom and sparge arm. I batch sparge now so I'd forget the arm, but you'll save a lot if you piece it together.

Rob
Speyedr

Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:13 am

Interesting. I do not vorloff at all except right at the beginning and that's about 2 gallons. Then during the lauter, I gently pour the sparge water on top of my grain bed when it gets low as not to disturb the grains. I do this by putting a piece of plastic on top of the grain bed. I then pour the sparge water on top of that using a pitcher. Helps to spread it out. The wort is clear as after my first vorloff. I highly doubt I will ever go to fly-sparging. This is just too easy.
"If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
-David Daye
Jouglet

Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:17 am

I batch sparge, and I don't recirc, I just let it flow. I put a grain bag at the end to catch the grains that come through before the grain bed gets set. All my beers come clear after setting in the keg for about 2 weeks. My run off takes about 15 min, and my efficiency sits at about %70. I'm still getting my water volumes dialed in and I think that I will be able to up my efficiency a few points.

When I runnoff I let the first runnings go as fast as they can to my boil kettle. Refill, stir, let it set for 5 min or so, and then let the last runnings go as fast as they will.

My brew sessions typically last about 4 hours. That is from crushing grain to finishing cleanup. 1 hour mash, 1 hour boil. Maybe a little longer depending on how much I drink! Very Happy

Basically I think it come down to knowing your system, they all make beer.
nolvar

Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:59 am

a cheap plastic watering can is cheaper than a sparge arm and works fine. and you can use it to catch the first running and recirc it that way.
kegged-one light summer ale
kegged- one ordinary bitter
bottled- celebration ale
fermenting- ordinary bitter
brewsters millionths

Previous

Return to All Grain Brewing