Stuck fermentation in secondary?

Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:44 am

I have an APA that I racked over to a glass carboy for a secondary fermentation on Sunday. While it was in the plastic fermenting bucket the air lock was bubbling pretty steady (once every 7 - 10 seconds). After I moved it into the carboy it's not bubbling at all looks like. The air bubble in the air lock isn't even any where near the "bubble holes" in the inner cup.

Did I kill my yeast somehow?

~Matt

APA:
OG 1.057
Partial Mash
Brewed Wednesday the 19th, racked to secondary Sunday the 23rd
WLP001
Sergeant, BN Army!

Member of the Mid-State Brew Crew
Techie101

Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:49 am

What is your gravity now? You took your beer away from the bulk of the yeast by racking it. If your not at terminal gravity you may have to pitch more yeast. Or be very patient while what is left finishes. You really don't want to rack until your beer is done.

Travis
A very silly place... http://yarnzombie.net/Travis/

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
-Dave Barry
Lufah

Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:53 am

have you taken gravity readings? you didn't just time it so you racked it just as it finished. is the airlock properly sealed? did you splash it on the way in allowing the yeast to revert to aerobic for a while which shows little or no airlock activity. all no problem. down side. what type of sanitiser did you use in the carboy? did you rinse it fully?
kegged-one light summer ale
kegged- one ordinary bitter
bottled- celebration ale
fermenting- ordinary bitter
brewsters millionths

Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:28 am

Lufah wrote:What is your gravity now? You took your beer away from the bulk of the yeast by racking it. If your not at terminal gravity you may have to pitch more yeast. Or be very patient while what is left finishes. You really don't want to rack until your beer is done.

Travis

This was my first time doing a secondary so I didn't think about taking a second reading. I guess waiting makes sense now... I do have more yeast, you suggest pitching the rest?
Sergeant, BN Army!

Techie101

Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:33 am

brewsters millionths wrote:have you taken gravity readings? you didn't just time it so you racked it just as it finished. is the airlock properly sealed? did you splash it on the way in allowing the yeast to revert to aerobic for a while which shows little or no airlock activity. all no problem. down side. what type of sanitiser did you use in the carboy? did you rinse it fully?

Didn't take G reading. Air lock seems sealed good, there is a piece of fishing line between it and the carboy attached to a small bag of hops, but I still think it sealed good. It didn't splash any and I used StarSan.

...but I never rinse anything after using StarSan... was that a mistake? Should I have rinsed with previously boiled or filtered water?

Not a big deal to me if it's shot, since I only brew 2.5 Gallons at a time it's not much to lose and I'll learn a few things on the way. I alway "Relax, don't worry, and Have a homebrew"
8)
Sergeant, BN Army!

Techie101

Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:57 am

Techie101 wrote:...but I never rinse anything after using StarSan... was that a mistake? Should I have rinsed with previously boiled or filtered water?

No, don't rinse star-san. Also don't worry about the star-san bubbles, you'll never get em all out anyway. If you've ever drank a Coca-Cola you've consumed more phosporic acid, than would ever be left behind in a carboy or during bottling (Charlie Talley from 5 star drank an 8oz glass of star san!).

As far as the gravity reading, we now see how important they are. They are critical in troubleshooting fermention issues. It only takes one potential stuck fermentation to agree.
rich

Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:02 am

is starsan one of the ones which does not require rinsing? i don't know it, it's a US thing. that fishing line may be enough to break your seal. it's an old winemaking trick to put that in the neck of a bottle to let the cork go in without building up pressure in the bottle then pull it out. i certainly wouldn't ditch it. chances are it will be ok. give it a chance to finish out. maybe when your dry hop is done and you take the bag out it will be fine.
kegged-one light summer ale
kegged- one ordinary bitter
bottled- celebration ale
fermenting- ordinary bitter
brewsters millionths

Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:50 am

Yea the star san does not require rinsing. I love it so much more than iodine based sanitizers. I made my wife repeat the mantra "Dont fear the bubbles, the bubbles are our friends" We keg into the bubbles and the beer pushes them out as the keg fills.
SunkenBier

Next

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing