Re: Smoking malt?

Wed May 27, 2009 9:53 am

What kind of papers do you use to roll the malt? How fine of a crush do you use on the malt before rolling it? Is it a Cuban type roll or Dominican?

Just sayin'.
Grid
Gridiron Brewer

Wed May 27, 2009 9:55 am

gotta go old skool with the swisher sweets
Cheers!
Tavish
---------------------------------------------
An empty kegerator is a crime against humanity. -Dirk McLargeHuge
Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer. - Arnold Schwarzenegger
Where the fuck is the BACON???????? - Bdawg
tavish2

Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:16 pm

Kevin Pratt in Sacramento is an authority on smoked malt, and always has a few varieties for sale at his homebrew store. I believe he makes it himself.

http://www.folsombrewmeister.com/servle ... Categories
BS

Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:45 am

blipiddybrew wrote:I appreciate all the research. I have been looking for rocks to heat up and smoke so I can add them just for smoke and caramelization. Then I would finish the boil as normal and save the rocks in a sealed container and add to secondary.

Grumpy Troll Brewery in Mt. Horeb WI did a similar beer with the rocks in the boil and secondary.

Boscos in Little Rock also does a flaming stone beer. http://boscosbeer.com/brewery/flamingstone.htm From their website

Boscos Famous Flaming Stone Beer is what is known as a steinbier, or stone beer. Red-hot pieces of pink Colorado granite are heated to 700 degrees in Boscos wood fired oven and lowered into the wort (unfermented beer) during the brewing process. The resulting steam and sizzle caramelizes sugars in the wort. The result is a sweeter, softer tasting beer with a caramel undertone.
Quin

Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:44 pm

Anyone try using Apple wood to smoke malts with?
Three out of four people make up 75% of the worlds population.

Sean's Brewery & House of Ill Repute
seanhagerty

Previous

Return to Homegrown