Pruning first shoots

Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:35 pm

I have read that you should prune your first shoots of the spring as this sends more vigorous shoots to follow. I have never done this as those little shoots seem so precious. Is anyone pruning their first shoots or do you let it grow?

Cheers! :bnarmy:
On Tap: Telemark Stout
On Tap: Top of the World Cider
On Tap: Lower Corner IPA
On Tap: Bodacious Brown Ale
On Tap: Maple Double IPA
Fermenting: The Session Pale Ale

MoreBeer Buzz
Hoppy Brewah

Re: Pruning first shoots

Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:45 pm

You should thin out some of the shoots, but not all of them... leave the few biggest ones to train up your wire/twine/trellis, pinch off the rest.
Nate Diggler

Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:55 pm

I let'm grown wild until I can tell which ones are going to be the dominate bines, then I prune the rest. Usually 3-6 per plant will be much stronger than others.
BadRock
Global Moderator

Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:04 pm

Shoots... you have shoots?? I'm just breaking ground here at my house. I did score some rhyzomes from a good friend, Chinooks and Centennials, I live about 1k higher then he does. I mean hell, it's snowing again today!
Phil185

Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:07 am

ralph olsen from hop union said on the first show with the BN that you should just let them grow wild and not clip them down to 3-4 bines. He said this is done commercially cause if you have more than 3-4 per crown it cloggs the picker.
Cheers!
Tavish
---------------------------------------------
An empty kegerator is a crime against humanity. -Dirk McLargeHuge
Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer. - Arnold Schwarzenegger
Where the fuck is the BACON???????? - Bdawg
tavish2

Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:21 am

I don't have shoots yet, the little red buds are just starting to pop up. I thought I heard that commercial growers cut back the first shoots of the spring and that the next shoots come up more vi-gor-ous-ly. Perhaps this gives more energy to the roots which results in more growth later on.

I have always chosen the longest 4-6 bines per crown to train up the string and pruned the rest. Just wondering if there is a better way...
On Tap: Telemark Stout
On Tap: Top of the World Cider
On Tap: Lower Corner IPA
On Tap: Bodacious Brown Ale
On Tap: Maple Double IPA
Fermenting: The Session Pale Ale

MoreBeer Buzz
Hoppy Brewah

Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:28 am

tavish2 wrote:ralph olsen from hop union said on the first show with the BN that you should just let them grow wild and not clip them down to 3-4 bines. He said this is done commercially cause if you have more than 3-4 per crown it cloggs the picker.

I would agree, especially if this is your first year. Now that I have some very mature plants, if I do not prune they will be everywhere. The first year I'd let them ride unless they get out of hand or you see bines that are struggling.
BadRock
Global Moderator

Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:43 am

I somehow completely forgot about my two that i have in the garden until i saw this thread... Too busy looking at myself in my :nutters: i guess...

Just moved them into the sunniest part of the yard and checked on them. they are looking much better than last year.. Ive got a couple bines poking through the ground on each plant.. since its only their second year im gonna let em ride and trim anything that looks like its struggling..

Thanks for the reminder fellas!!!
Hoppy Brewah wrote:I have read that you should prune your first shoots of the spring as this sends more vigorous shoots to follow. I have never done this as those little shoots seem so precious. Is anyone pruning their first shoots or do you let it grow?

Cheers! :bnarmy:

I have also read this but it was regarding the first year. The reason i remember is because during the first year allowing the crown to become more established is far more important than yield and allows for better production in subsequent years..
"Get your fat ass back here!"
"Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm"

Stewie
:bnarmy:
Stewbacca

Return to Homegrown