Re: Smoking malt?

Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:33 pm

Also, if you plan on using water for smoking your malt, distilled is recommended. If you use any water with any traces of chorine....like brewing with chorine water...it will cause the pleasant phenols from the wood to impart a nasty band aid phenol. This of course would be amplified if using a high phenolic wood like mesquite.
“Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer.”

-Al Bundy
blipiddybrew

Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:45 pm

blipiddybrew wrote:Also, if you plan on using water for smoking your malt, distilled is recommended. If you use any water with any traces of chorine....like brewing with chorine water...it will cause the pleasant phenols from the wood to impart a nasty band aid phenol. This of course would be amplified if using a high phenolic wood like mesquite.

Thanks for the warning. I smoked my malt after a quick read of the instructions. I didn't moisten the grain. I smoked it dry. Then I read I was supposed to have moistened the grain.

Yeah, I'm an :asshat:
"Mash, I made you my bitch!" -Tasty
Dirk McLargeHuge
Global Moderator

Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:58 pm

Mylo wrote:Try your local hardwood supply company, or hardwood mill. Their beechwood will be cabinet grade - but you might be able to find some that hasn't been processed as much (rough cut) and/or it might be seconds - full of knots and other defects that make it shitty for cabinets - and great for smoking malt. The best case would be if you can find a local mill - because they will have all kinds of off cuts that they just chip up, anyway.

There is a store in Springfield that specializes in outdoor cooking and woods for smoking. I'll check there before I do anything else. It's possible they'll have it as a specialty smoking wood.

Yes, I said smoking wood.
Benjamin St. Ange
Corporal
BN Army
BenRod

Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:41 am

Chaz wrote:I have some VHS rips of the MJ series I could probably upload somewhere if anyone is interested.

I am definitely interested. My VHS copies were taped off a PBS show I picked up on my rabbit ears and weren't great to start with. 15 years of age has not improved the quality at all. Anyway, VHS sucks.

A free fileden.com account might work.

Charlie
"Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
Charlie

Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:48 pm

Too big for Fileden, they're 170-200MB.

Here's the first two volumes uploaded, I'll get to the 3rd volume on Saturday probably.

Volume 1: California Pilgrimage
Volume 1: Best of British
Volume 2: Bohemian Connection
Volume 2: The Fifth Element

Password to open rar files: bn
BN Army Sergeant
Chaz

Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:33 pm

BN Army Sergeant
Chaz

Tue May 26, 2009 10:28 am

The volume 3 episodes give me errors when I try to open them and suggest a possible incorrect password. Do these 2 volumes use the same 'bn' password? Thanks!
jaymo

Wed May 27, 2009 6:55 am

I get errors on vol 2 #1 Bohemian and both sections of vol 3. "CRC failed. (wrong password?)"

Charlie
"Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
Charlie

PreviousNext

Return to Homegrown