Fly Sparging Idea

Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:57 pm

I came up with this idea after talking with Krotch. No idea if it has been done or not... I'm still gathering equipment for all grain, so it is possible that I haven't a clue what I'm talking about - please keep that in mind and pardon the artwork. I normally do better but I'm drunk at the moment.

Krotch fly-sparges and was telling me about how he adjusts his mash tun valve and his sparge valve carefully so that out = in. Like this:

My (bright?) idea was to take the mash tun output hose and instead of running it through a valve into the boil kettle, just raise it up the side of the mash tun so that the water level in the hose before it goes downhill equals the water-over-grain level, like this:

The beauty of this is that the level in the hose would equal the level in the mash tun. As you add sparge water, the mash tun hose would just overflow and keep up. It'd need an air port to prevent siphons, but I don't see why this won't work just great. The advantage is that you'd only adjust the sparge water valve and the mash tun output would automatically equal it.
If you want to empty the mash tun at the end just lower the hose. No more dual-valve jockeying during the sparge...

Am I nuts? Am I drunk? (don't answer that last question) ...and if you fly sparge, don't comment since this doesn't apply to you.
code
codewritinfool

Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:58 pm

Ok, you are drunk, but I'm not... so here goes. I think what you'd have to worry about is hot side airation aka HSA. Basically you wort gets oxidized before boiling. This will lead to off flavors and other nastiness. Interesting idea though...
"I feel sorry for those who don't drink because when they get up in the morning that's as good as they're going to feel all day."
— Frank Sinatra
Lars

Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:58 am

It's an interesting idea. I really don't mind adjusting flow rates and once you get to know your system, it becomes second nature getting the flow rates to match up.

On the other hand, I am suspect of any new idea that starts with the sentence, "I came up with this idea after talking with Krotch." :lol:

Brad
Bald guys rule.
BigBadBrad

Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:54 am

Lars wrote:Ok, you are drunk, but I'm not... so here goes. I think what you'd have to worry about is hot side airation aka HSA. Basically you wort gets oxidized before boiling. This will lead to off flavors and other nastiness. Interesting idea though...

If the drain tube is placed down in the kettle (or along side), there wouldn't be HSA.

Drunk or not, I think it's a good idea. :idea:
-Russ-------------------------------------------------------
"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it." - R. Reagan
Who is John Malt?

Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:01 pm

[quote="Hank Reardon"]

If the drain tube is placed down in the kettle (or along side), there wouldn't be HSA.
quote]

The HSA would come from the open part of the drain hose pulling air in as it drains. Like the vent stacks in a home plumbing system. In theory any way. HSA would come to BYITA later. Your beer would not age well and stale much sooner than normal. If you generally finish your beer 1 week out of the fermenter, this probably would effect you to a much lesser degree.
Cheers,
Dr Scott

Beer colder than your Mom, Whiskey older than your Dad...
Dr Scott

Tue May 02, 2006 3:16 pm

HSA is a myth!!!
mmayer

Tue May 02, 2006 8:51 pm

mmayer wrote:HSA is a myth!!!

Don't tell me, I'll bet you're against adding Fluoride in the water too... :P
Cheers,
Dr Scott

Beer colder than your Mom, Whiskey older than your Dad...
Dr Scott

Wed May 03, 2006 7:38 am

I have to cast my vote in the Mythbusters catagory.

DO IT, Code... you will not experience any hot side aeration. If you do, I will personally pay for the grain bill of the batch.

Cheers,
Charlie
Asshat of the Year ('06)
Proud Drunk of the Year Nominee ('08)
Beevo, "I burned my tongue."
Doc, "Slow down."
Gadgets
CoVBS
Push Eject
Butcher

Next

Return to All Grain Brewing