End of the season hop growing help.. now what do I do?

Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:15 pm

Hey all, this has been my first year growing hops, and as the season is changing I am wondering what I'm supposed to do with them.

Do I just snip them at the base and keep them watered throughout the Winter Season?

Thanks in advance.
Get 30 extra gravity points by pressing - up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, b, a, start - during the mash.
BeerRun13

Re: End of the season hop growing help.. now what do I do?

Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:18 pm

You pretty much got it.

Trim them so you have about 6" of bine above ground, and them tend to them next year with a go hardy helping of mulch and compost.
BadRock
Global Moderator

Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:31 pm

Thanks BadRock. So I do need to keep them watered over the off season correct?
Get 30 extra gravity points by pressing - up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, b, a, start - during the mash.
BeerRun13

Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:33 pm

You can hit them with a little water but, they go dormant thus they are not consuming any water.
BadRock
Global Moderator

Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:22 am

I just prepped mine for winter, snipped the bines and covered the hills with 1/2 bag of cow manure each. This should leach into the soil over the winter and give them a good start in the spring. When spring comes, I will mulch over them to keep the weeds down.

Doug
On Deck:
Cream Ale
Fermenting:
Dusseldorf Altbier
On Tap:
Brown Porter

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. What horribly boring lives they must lead." Micky Rourke, Barfly
Crackin

Return to Homegrown