Pre-boil runnings gravity question

Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:13 pm

Since I don't have a refractometer, can my hydrometer measure pre-boil runnings, at the higher mash temps? Do the temperature adjustment algorithims apply at temps reaching 150F. Do I need to to cool preboil samples?

I'm brewing my first all-grain Sunday. I have done months of research and feel confident all will go well, but want to clear up some of the finer points before zero hour. Please advise.
rich

Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:29 pm

don't fret that much about the exact runnings you can go by color or taste on that. Work on the general process first, then worry about exacting your measurements. I would worry about putting a hydrometer in hot wort like that, as the thermal shock could shatter it, plus the accuracy would be shit. It is ok to play it by ear on occasion, brewing is an ART you can use science to perfect it but it is an ART first, use your senses and artistic side and you will be fine.
BUB
Lunch Meet "Limpian" Gold Medalist (x2) 2006
Winner of <b>NO PANTS</b> award 2006 and 2007
Make your own beer website... starting at $10 per YEAR.
www.bubweb.com & www.momenttoponder.com
bub
Global Moderator

Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:31 pm

There is a correction factor you can apply; most of the brewing software will do that for you. You might be risking cracking your hydrometer, though, from the thermal stress.

I've taken preboil gravities by dipping some wort out in a metal measuring cup and resting the cup in a tray of ice cubes. Stir once in a while with my thermometer and it doesn't take a terrible long time to get down to 60F.

I like the refractometer a whole lot better than waiting for all that to happen, though :wink:
bubrewer

Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:13 pm

bub wrote:don't fret that much about the exact runnings you can go by color or taste on that. Work on the general process first, then worry about exacting your measurements. I would worry about putting a hydrometer in hot wort like that, as the thermal shock could shatter it, plus the accuracy would be shit. It is ok to play it by ear on occasion, brewing is an ART you can use science to perfect it but it is an ART first, use your senses and artistic side and you will be fine.
BUB

Well put Bub :jnj

I'd say just do it. Then figure out what you can do better next time.

Oh, and don't kick yourself when you flufah up a few things. Just figure you'll catch it next time
Cheers,
Dr Scott

Beer colder than your Mom, Whiskey older than your Dad...
Dr Scott

Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:32 am

Maybe I'm jinxing myself, but I take hydro readings hot, correct using promash, and haven't ever cracked a hydrometer.

From what I understand, aren't refractomenters less accurate than hydrometers anyway?

I may be a little off topic here, but, that scottish 80 is talking again tonight!
Big Chooch

I don't have a neat little quote because I'm not that cool.
Big Chooch

Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:14 am

There is no / minimal difference in accuracy on the homebrew level for hydrometer/refractometer PRE FERMENTATION.

On uber accurate lab quality equipment a refractometer is more accurate.

You may be refering to the scale Refract is in BRIX/Plato which is 1 pont for 4 in SG but when calculating mash runnings it is of minimal issue.

Oh and Dr. Scott Loves Me
Well put Bub

I'm Glowing
BUB
Lunch Meet "Limpian" Gold Medalist (x2) 2006
Winner of <b>NO PANTS</b> award 2006 and 2007
Make your own beer website... starting at $10 per YEAR.
www.bubweb.com & www.momenttoponder.com
bub
Global Moderator

Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:53 am

I ususally pull a sample and stick it in the freezer while I'm getting my boil started. Give it about 10 minutes in the freezer and it's ~60deg. I'll check it just to see if I need to boil a little longer or add some water. Whatever I need to do to hit my gravity numbers.

Travis
A very silly place... http://yarnzombie.net/Travis/

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
-Dave Barry
Lufah

Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:57 pm

Lufah wrote:I ususally pull a sample and stick it in the freezer while I'm getting my boil started. Give it about 10 minutes in the freezer and it's ~60deg. I'll check it just to see if I need to boil a little longer or add some water. Whatever I need to do to hit my gravity numbers.

Travis

I'll second that... its what I do too.
"I feel sorry for those who don't drink because when they get up in the morning that's as good as they're going to feel all day."
— Frank Sinatra
Lars

Next

Return to All Grain Brewing