Re: NHC competition

Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:32 am

I definitely think that it is going to need to be something that changes, and I'm sure that they are talking about all kinds of options to make it as fair and accessible to everyone. I doubt there is a perfect solution, some that crossed my mind are:

Make it a lottery system where you put your name in a hat for a shot at a limited number of chances to even to enter.
- Would make it seem even more based on luck than it already is, but at least people wouldn't be ragequitting and throwing their computers due to not being able to access the site...

Utilize smaller BJCP comps as a weeding out process... In order your beer in the first round, it must have already been through as competition where it placed.
- One issue I see with this is that while it would reduce the strain on the current judging system for NHC and utilize an existing set of judging events, that it would become even more of a pay to play system.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:18 am

I've never been one who thought it sounded like a good idea to take my best beer, put it in the mail, and pay someone else to drink it, but I'm suddenly getting the urge to try this. I guess the transformation is finally complete; I'm officially nuts. With homebrewing as popular as it is, a true national homebrewing competition seems a bit unrealistic, but I guess that's what was said about Federal Express before it became a huge success. Are there any other homebrewing competitions that are maybe not as big as the national homebrewing competition but they're still good, and they're more accessible?
Come On Fulham!!

"...know your process, know your yeast." - Ozwald
BeaverBarber

Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:29 am

Here's the competition schedule link for the BJCP.

Find a competition near you and enter! And I suggest you volunteer to help steward to see what its like behind the scenes.
You'll have a lot of fun and get to taste some good beers (I always try to point out the best ones to my stewards, as well as teach them what a classic flaw tastes like if I come across a really pronounced example of one).

http://www.bjcp.org/apps/comp_schedule/ ... hedule.php

HTH-
:bnarmy:
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:41 am

BDawg wrote:Here's the competition schedule link for the BJCP.

Find a competition near you and enter! And I suggest you volunteer to help steward to see what its like behind the scenes.
You'll have a lot of fun and get to taste some good beers (I always try to point out the best ones to my stewards, as well as teach them what a classic flaw tastes like if I come across a really pronounced example of one).

http://www.bjcp.org/apps/comp_schedule/ ... hedule.php

HTH-
:bnarmy:

Man, what a great link! I just saved that to favorites. Thanks for that.
Come On Fulham!!

"...know your process, know your yeast." - Ozwald
BeaverBarber

Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:27 am

Dirk McLargeHuge wrote:The problem with finding a place to accommodate 6000 middle aged guys in shorts and sandals is daunting at best. While the AHA helps organize the conference, ultimately the bulk of the work falls to the local organizing committee, who also have real jobs. (BDawg can probably explain this better than me.) Right now they can barely find enough judges to work a two tier contest.

Odd that these comments come so soon after FilmLabRat's complaint and some other recent complaints about the BN. Both the BN and the AHA are growing fast and the growing pains are becoming apparent.

I think part of the problem is that they are trying to have local clubs do this. Too me it posses incosistancy and the potential for problems. Also the 6000 people could easily be accomidated in certain venues. You could not move it around every year like it is now. You would have to go to vegas or something and keep it there which would be one of the prices of such a change. Now before you condem me for such a statement, know that I am on the east coast and it would pose hardship to me to fly to vegas every year.

I don't think your comment about FilmLabRat's post in relation to mine is fair or accurate. If you read my post throughly I even stated the reason, I have several friends who stated they are considering droping there membership because of the combination of issues with this years NHC. I want the AHA to thrive, and I also want the AHA benefits to be equally accessible by all the membership, not just those who can sit there at their computer hitting the refresh button (obviously this is not me as I work in fron to a computer all day).
CRBrewHound

Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:10 am

CRBrewHound wrote:
Dirk McLargeHuge wrote:The problem with finding a place to accommodate 6000 middle aged guys in shorts and sandals is daunting at best. While the AHA helps organize the conference, ultimately the bulk of the work falls to the local organizing committee, who also have real jobs. (BDawg can probably explain this better than me.) Right now they can barely find enough judges to work a two tier contest.

Odd that these comments come so soon after FilmLabRat's complaint and some other recent complaints about the BN. Both the BN and the AHA are growing fast and the growing pains are becoming apparent.

I think part of the problem is that they are trying to have local clubs do this. Too me it posses incosistancy and the potential for problems. Also the 6000 people could easily be accomidated in certain venues. You could not move it around every year like it is now. You would have to go to vegas or something and keep it there which would be one of the prices of such a change. Now before you condem me for such a statement, know that I am on the east coast and it would pose hardship to me to fly to vegas every year.

I don't think your comment about FilmLabRat's post in relation to mine is fair or accurate. If you read my post throughly I even stated the reason, I have several friends who stated they are considering droping there membership because of the combination of issues with this years NHC. I want the AHA to thrive, and I also want the AHA benefits to be equally accessible by all the membership, not just those who can sit there at their computer hitting the refresh button (obviously this is not me as I work in fron to a computer all day).

I think your comments are related to growth issues, but your reaction was different.
"Mash, I made you my bitch!" -Tasty
Dirk McLargeHuge
Global Moderator

Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:00 am

Dirk McLargeHuge wrote:I think your comments are related to growth issues, but your reaction was different.

Please clarify?
CRBrewHound

Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:08 am

CRBrewHound wrote:
Dirk McLargeHuge wrote:I think your comments are related to growth issues, but your reaction was different.

Please clarify?

You want to fix it. You're not just walking away.
Dirk McLargeHuge
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Beer Events