Homebrew club guild anniversary event ideas

Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:40 pm

The Maryland FreeState Homebrew Club Guild is 15 years old this year. We are looking to do a bunch of fun events throughout the year. We have a couple of ideas, but would love some additional ideas from the BN. We believe that there are a good amount of would-be brewers in MD and would like to pull them into our clubs to increase membership. Ideas, comments, thoughts, rants...?

Stewie

BNA Sergeant
Co-founder Brewtherville Labs
BrewthervilleLabs.com
skins001

Re: Homebrew club guild anniversary event ideas

Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:52 am

Try to get ahold of the organization that holds beer tastings/festivals. My club gets a table at every event they hold. However, we were also invited for the very first event years ago, so it maybe a little different for you. It exposes you to a much broader crowd, and while yes, many of them are BMC drinkers there to drink their money's worth, occacionally you find someone who signs up on the sheet and even attends meetings!
skerrydude

Re: Homebrew club guild anniversary event ideas

Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:49 pm

Stewie,
I'm a big fan of the idea of the Iron Brewer comp that Iron Hill Brewery does every year. They give away the 2nd runnings from their barleywine brew to a dozen or so homebrewers and then give them a month or 6 weeks...Do with it what you please, its just wort, bring it back and best beer wins. Maybe talk with DuClaw or Heavy Seas and see what they think. Second runnings from Colossus or Holy Sheets???...talk to them and see what they would be willing to do.

Maybe they'd let you use a barrel for aging a beer to be tapped at Oktoberfest.

Heavy Seas-maybe they would sell each club a firkins worth of beer at cost, fill it and let each club dry-whatever it and have a contest that way

A Stout comp sometime around St Paddy's

something for NHC since it's in Philly this year

Hugh, Jim Wagner and the guys from Flying Dog have all been interviewed on the BN. Here is a fantastic idea that would take a small miracle to pull off but it would be awesome...ready...
Try to get all 3 to brew Janet's Brown Ale at the same time. Tasty would be down for it and he may be able to enlist the help of Vinny to convince these guys they're not throwing money away since he's made it 2-3 times already...just a thought...

a brew day at Union Brewing or maybe The Dan can hook something up with Gordon Biersch in Annapolis. I don't know it the new one has a brewery in it.

Just some ideas. I'm in Wootown but i'm not very active within the club...I coach baseball and football so...my kid comes first, i make what events i can, brew when i can and drink when i can. I'm going to NHC i'm just hoping baseball doesn't hose me. I should be done with inhouse and travel playoffs don't start till after the 4th so i should be ok.

I have a buddy that lives over your way, I'll give him your info. He makes very good beer.
I'm free till march, let me know if i can help. Kevin Ervin, the Pres of Wootown, is a great guy and a fantastic source for all things beer in Maryland. You can contact him through wootown.org
Later, Drew :jnj
I'm enjoying my 6-pack....my 6-pack of Superbowl trophies!
twitter.com\@ajignatz
ajignatz@gmail.com
Steelers&Beer

Return to Beer Events