Re: Minnesota / Northland BN

Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:45 pm

MNHazmat wrote:
mike____ wrote:Any of you guys going to the Happy Gnome tomorrow for the Rose de Gambrinus tapping? Never had Cantillon before, so I'm thinking I need to at least stop by for one.
And help the St. Paul club celebrate their big win, of course. :wink:

Not I. Debating if I'm going to head to Town Hall for the Ren. Fest Beer Cup award ceremony to grab my medal.

Rose de Gambrinus is amazing but I'll be at Town Hall for the medal ceremony.
FireOnTheMountain

Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:28 am

Decided to go to The Happy Gnome last night for Rose de Grambrinus and to sample the newer MN Craft Brews that I've yet to try. I decided to stick with the sessionable beers for the night so for anyone who hasn't had these, here are some brief descriptions on the ones I tried. This is all based on my memory from last night :unicornrainbow:

Cantillon: Rose de Gambrinus (Lambic)
I haven't had a ton of lambics before or any Cantillon for that matter. Blood red color, very tart to the point your mouth puckers, almost a pleasant vinegar bite with a hint sweetness in the background.

Badger Hill: Minnesota Special Bitter (ESB)
Going into the night I never would have thought an ESB would come out being my favorite. This had a fantastic peanut butter malt like flavor with just enough of a woody hop bitterness to balance out the sweetness. I could probably drink these all night.

Indeed Brewing: Midnight Ryder (American Black Ale)
A well balanced and restrained blend of 6 american hops, caramel, chocolate and a hint of roast. I was a little hesistant about trying this and fully expected to get a roasty burnt coffee IPA-esque trainwreck of a beer. This was very much the opposite. I'm not sure all 6 hop varieties were noticeable or necessary but this is one of the few beers I've had where the pine and citrus flavors seem to work well with the dark malts. Not my favorite but I wouldn't turn down a pint.

3rd Street Brewhouse: Top of the Crop Cream Ale
This was a dry and crisp beer with a little bit of fruitiness from the yeast. The menu made a comparison to New Glarus' Spotted Cow. I would say the Spotted Cow had a creamier and sweeter mouthfeel to it. Not a bad beer but nothing too exciting, very easy to drink.

Lift Bridge Brewing: Pathway Pils
I was hoping for a Czech Pils but this happened to be a German Pils. Very well made, a slight minerally flavor with an earthy hop flavor. Very dry and refreshingly bitter. I almost want to make a comparison to Victory's Prima Pils.
Afterlab

Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:57 pm

I thought I was fairly on top of the new breweries, but who is Badger Hill?
MNHazmat

Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:10 pm

Badger Hill snuck under the radar and started releasing beer in June of this year. It's two brothers from the Twin Cities who have been homebrewing for over 10 years. Badger Hill brews with Lucid Brewing out of Minnetonka as Minnesota's first alternating proprietorship brewery. It sounds like they are mostly going for English styles. Their flagship beer is the Minnesota Special Bitter (MSB), which seems to be on tap at quite a few places in the metro.
Afterlab

Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:54 pm

Since this thread started with talk about the Big River comp, I have some particulars. We have 80 brewers with 179 entries. We were figuring on maybe 50 entries, so we have our work cut out for us. If you want to judge on Friday the 28th 12-9pm or Saturday the 29th 9-12am, we will be at the Eastside Neighborhood Services. We will try to finish on Saturday early, so we can hit the wild beers event right after. If you go to the fest or the judging stop by and say hey, ask for Tim S
Thanks to everyone who entered,
pepperford

Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:00 pm

Do you want folks to register for judging/stewarding on the website or just show up?
MNHazmat

Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:41 pm

So has anyone seen a list of the breweries that are coming to this Big River fest? The website doesn't have too many details...
MNHazmat

Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:56 pm

Register if you know you can show, but if not, just show up. At this point we are still waiting for East Side Services to let us know when we can start on Friday. I will post when I know and try to get our web guy to post on our site the times.
pepperford

PreviousNext

Return to Beer Events