Cigar City Jai Alai IPA - Pretty tasty IPA

Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:31 pm

I'm so happy to have easy access to Cigar City Brews. I just tried their Jai Alai IPA (canned) and it is probably one of the most flavorful IPAs out there. This one does have a low hop profile, but it's still a high class IPA in my book.

Anybody have the opportunity to try it? Especially out of the can.

Here's my video review on it, if you would like to check it out.

http://full.sc/S45ic1
arsenal610

Re: Cigar City Jai Alai IPA - Pretty tasty IPA

Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:53 pm

I've had it once on draft and thought it was fantastic.
12stones

Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:50 am

Oh yea, I drink Jai Lai all the time. In fact I alway make sure I have a few hanging around.

I'm a little upset at Cigar City though... they used to not filter out the dry hops and you could see a ton of hop particles in the beer. They recently started filtering it and you can tell. There is a big difference in the aroma and flavor now and I wish they would go back to not filtering.

Also, while Jai Lai is good if you ever get a chance to try the Jai Lai on white oak get it! They release it in 4 packs 3-4 times a year and is absolutely amazing. Also make sure and try the humidor series IPA. It is a different recipe than the Jai Lai on spanish cedar.

If you or anyone else is ever in Tampa and wants to go to the brewery with me just hit me up.
theobrew

Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:41 am

theobrew wrote:I'm a little upset at Cigar City though... they used to not filter out the dry hops and you could see a ton of hop particles in the beer. They recently started filtering it and you can tell. There is a big difference in the aroma and flavor now and I wish they would go back to not filtering.

Like pieces of vegetation? Get that out of my beer please.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:08 pm

spiderwrangler wrote: Like pieces of vegetation? Get that out of my beer please.

I've never had Jai Alai from Cigar City, so I can't speak for them, but I know that Mac and Jack's African Amber kegs contain a mesh bag in the keg, or at least they used to. The beer is the cloudiest draft I have ever seen, but I have never seen floating vegetation in my glass. I guess there could be a major difference between a kegged product and a canned product.
Bottled: fresh hop pale ale
On tap: Moose bile strong ale
In the cellar: Taqu'il's Fat Black Imperial Stout
Lagering:
In the fermenter: Moose drool clone
In the works: Taqu'il's Fat Black Imperial stout
PorkSlapper

Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:14 pm

I have the recipe for it so I may need to brew this and see how tasty it really is.
Afterlab

Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:49 pm

Sakaibrew wrote:
spiderwrangler wrote: Like pieces of vegetation? Get that out of my beer please.

I've never had Jai Alai from Cigar City, so I can't speak for them, but I know that Mac and Jack's African Amber kegs contain a mesh bag in the keg, or at least they used to. The beer is the cloudiest draft I have ever seen, but I have never seen floating vegetation in my glass. I guess there could be a major difference between a kegged product and a canned product.

I never heard about this. I have one of the grave shift brewers from Mac & Jack's taking my BJCP class tomorrow night. I'll ask him. Shit, I'll email him and ask him now instead.

Also, Manny's Pale Ale from Georgetown Brewing is just as cloudy as Mac & Jack's if not cloudier. Damn, THAT'S a good solid beer.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:21 pm

Totally forgot about Manny's Pale being cloudy also. That beer is fantastic, but I dont see it here in Moses very often, but can get Mac and Jack's almost everywhere in town.

I was given a copy of The Beer Book by Tom Hampson about 5 years ago, they have small section under some breweries called Brewing Secrets, and under Mac and Jack's they state "Each Keg that leaves the brewery contains a mesh back packed with hops."
Things may have changed in the last 5 years, I think back then they were not brewing their porter or IPA, and whatever else they have expanded into.
Bottled: fresh hop pale ale
On tap: Moose bile strong ale
In the cellar: Taqu'il's Fat Black Imperial Stout
Lagering:
In the fermenter: Moose drool clone
In the works: Taqu'il's Fat Black Imperial stout
PorkSlapper

Next

Return to Beer Reviews