Sam Adams Clone to Go with 10/23 Show

Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:17 pm

Hey guys. I found this Sam Adams Clone recipe. Haven't tried it, but will discuss it on-air with Dr. Scott tonight and see what he thinks. Just wanted to make it available for viewing to you as we talk about it.

Justin

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sam Atoms

Ingredients:
21 pounds, pale malt (adjust to get specified O.G.)
2 pounds, crystal malt (40L), added in mashout
1 pound, cara-pils
1 pound, wheat malt
3 ounces, Tettnanger hops (4.5% alpha)
1 ounce, Perle hops (7.6% alpha)
2 ounces, Cascade hops (dry hop)
1 teaspoon, gypsum (in mash)
2 teaspoons, Irish moss (last 15 minutes of boil)
Wyeast #2206 lager yeast

Procedure:
Mash grains at 154F for approximately 60 minutes. Mashout at 170 for 10 minutes.
Hop schedule: Boil 2 ounces Tettnanger for 75 minutes. Boil 1 ounce Tettnanger for 50 minutes. Add 1 ounce of Perle at end of boil and steep for 10 minutes. Total boil time is 90 minutes.
Fermentation schedule: 2 weeks at 55. Rack to secondary and dry hop with Cascade. Lager 2--3 weeks at 45. Filter, keg, and carbonate to approximately 2 volumes.

Specifics:
O.G.: 1.054
F.G.: 1.016

Comments:
This beer is a very close clone of Sam Adams. There is some sort of synergy between the cascade hops and kettle hops used here that is hard to explain. The flowery cascade nose is not present as you would expect. The nose is a more complex blend of malt and hops, sort of a spicy quality.
I hope you all make as good a beer as this recipe made for me.
Brewcaster J

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles