Help me make a 100%brett porter/stout recipe

Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:42 am

I have a large starter going of Brett C and Brett T. I have used these Brett strains to do an oaked pumpkin beer that is kick ass. I have not had success making a porter or stout yet. I have placed 3rd for Bavarian hefe. I get high scores for pale ales (35-43). I do calculate water chemistry with some beers. I want a 7/10% beer balanced to the sweet side, medium body, dark, oaked, vanilla, and cocoa. A nice layered malt background. Not some single dimensional dark taste. I believe the right balance of carbonate and chloride will give the rite malt bill the layers that I'm seeking. Oats will make it creamy. Any thoughts?
norfire0

Re: Help me make a 100%brett porter/stout recipe

Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:03 pm

I can't give much advice on this one as I simply don't really enjoy the characteristics of brett alongside of roasted malts as in a porter or stout. Something with the way the brett clashes with the roast especially if it is acrid or burnt in character. But then again, I also don't really care for american hops with roasted dark malts either.

Maybe try to incorporate some carafa special malt(s) to give you a clean background for the brett to layer upon. You might want to approach this one along the lines of a Black or Cascadian IPA grain bill to achieve a clean malt profile and avoid any harsh overly roasted tones. That is at least how I would go about it based on the last 100% brett porter I tasted.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:10 pm

I'd get a Baltic Porter recipe and go from there. Not sure whether/how the brett character will work alongside the roast.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:54 pm

BDawg wrote:I'd get a Baltic Porter recipe and go from there. Not sure whether/how the brett character will work alongside the roast.

Seems like it would depend on which brett you used. Id go lambicus as cherry might work. Id avoid horsey. In an asian export type of stout the pineapple one might be interesting.
Klickitat Jim

Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:34 am

Good subjestions. Thank you guys. Most recipes I see use so much crystal malt I am worried it would end up to cloying.
So
pale malt
Munic
C120
Something
Carafa
Noble German hops
Maybe coconut to move to the tropical side of Brett
London water profile
norfire0

Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:58 am

brewinhard wrote:I can't give much advice on this one as I simply don't really enjoy the characteristics of brett alongside of roasted malts as in a porter or stout. Something with the way the brett clashes with the roast especially if it is acrid or burnt in character. But then again, I also don't really care for american hops with roasted dark malts either.

Maybe try to incorporate some carafa special malt(s) to give you a clean background for the brett to layer upon. You might want to approach this one along the lines of a Black or Cascadian IPA grain bill to achieve a clean malt profile and avoid any harsh overly roasted tones. That is at least how I would go about it based on the last 100% brett porter I tasted.

I was in that camp too.. until GABF a few years ago. 08 or 09 IIRC. New Glarus was pouring a sour porter. It was unbelievable.

The trick is that a porter shouldn't have roast in it, just the perception of roast. The darkest malt I use in mine is a light chocolate & even then in pretty sparse amounts... just enough to give it some color (& the character that goes along with it, of course). Absolutely no roasted malts though.

I'm with you on hops. Porters don't need a hop character that stands out. Northern Brewer is one of my favorites for a porter, but I still keep that earthy/woody profile way in the background. Just enough to balance & noticeable only if you hunt for it.

I think those are some basic keys to brewing a good brown porter & would carry over to a nice brett porter as well. I wouldn't take it all the way up to a robust porter. The flavors would be fighting with each other a bit too much.

I would start with

Marris/2-row blend
pale chocolate
special B or C80/120

maybe a touch (<0.3%) of finely ground dehusked carafe if you just can't get enough color without going heavy on the crystal. Sprinkle on top for mashout.

Magnum/Northern Brewer
maybe a touch of some EKG at the end (only EK, no Styrian or American subs)
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:58 pm

Check out the Crooked Stave episode. They talked about a 100% Brett Baltic Porter.
http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/866
Gimme oysters and beer (and Durian) for dinner every day of the year...
mike____

Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:31 am

My Brett pumpkin FG was 1.010 With no crystal malt.
So I am thinking I'll keep the specialty grains to 1lb, maybe 8 oz each pale chocolate and special B. I can do some carafa in a pot to add at the end for color.
Any thoughts on using chocolate malt I hear people talk about it tasting like crap and that brewers use chocolate malt because of its name and not it's flavor. Are there other malts that can bring out some chocolate notes? I have lots of dried coconut. How does a 100% Brett chocolate coconut porter sound. FYI my Brett yeast will not sour the beer.
So.
Maris/2row 50/50 mix base. OG 1.085
Single infusion @156
8oz pale chocolate or equivalent
8oz special B
6oz carafa
Noble hops 60 min =30ibu
1/2ppg coconut 10min
Coconut 0 min
norfire0

Next

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles