Belgian Tripel

Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:28 am

Hi All,

I am looking to brew a Tripel and was going to brew this one:

Ingredients
9 pounds Pilsner liquid malt extract 1 pound Carapils malt, crushed 6 gallons of tap water, split
1 pound light Belgian candy sugar 2 ounces Hallertau hops - 60 minutes 2 Liter starter of liquid Belgian Ale yeast (Whitelabs WLP500 or Wyeast 1214) or 2 packages
Directions
If possible, place 3 gallons in the refrigerator to cool in a sanitized container.
Tie the Carapils malt in a large mesh grain bag or hop bag. Place the bag in 3 gallons of water in a 5 gallon pot and immerse the grain.
Begin to heat, making sure mesh bag isn’t sitting directly on the bottom of the pot. Remove the grain bag when the temperature reaches 170°.
Bring wort to a vigorous boil. As water is heating, slowly add 2 pounds of Pilsner liquid malt extract, stirring constantly until completely dissolved. When the boil begins, add 2 ounces Hallertau hops in a mesh bag.
After 45 minutes of boiling has passed, add remaining 7 pounds of Pilsner liquid malt extract and 1 pound of Belgian candy sugar, stirring constantly until completely dissolved.
After total of 60 minutes of boil, remove from heat. Warning: After wort cools below 180°F everything that touches it should be sanitary, and exposure to open air should be limited as much as possible.
Cool wort by placing pot in ice bath until it is below 85°F. Transfer to sanitized fermentor (either a carboy or a fermentation bucket). Top off to make 5 gallons using refrigerated water.
Use a sanitized auto-siphon racking cane to remove enough wort to take a gravity reading with your hydrometer. Make a note of this number, since you will be using it to calculate the actual alcohol content when it's done fermenting. The reading should be around 1.075.
Carefully pour yeast into cooled wort (it should be below 70°F), and agitate vigorously. Cover fermentor with a sanitized stopper and airlock. Ferment in dark place, keeping ambient temperature consistent, preferably between 68 and 70°F.
After primary fermentation is complete (take at least two consistent gravity readings), transfer to a secondary carboy for conditioning as discussed here and store as cool as possible.
Bottle after another four to six weeks using enough priming sugar for a high level of carbonation.

Someone suggested to cut back on the Carapils and the extract. What do you think?
BelgianFreak

Re: Belgian Tripel

Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:01 am

Belgian Tripels are supposed to be well attenuated and carapils adds body in the form of dextrins therefore lowering attenuation. With a big beer such as this you want fewer dextrins in there. I would take out a pound of extract, add a pound of sugar, and forget about the carapils.
-"You want a beer?"
-"But it's 7am"
-"Scotch?"
ziggy

Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:51 am

I agree with ditching the Carapils. I'd also prepare for adding simple sugars a few days into fermentation while allowing the temperature to rise, if you have that kind of control. I took my Tripel down to 1.002 this way and absolutely loved it.
Primary: Nada Damn Thing IPA
Secondary: ESB
Kegged: Jack Schittenweiss
BigNastyBrew

Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:05 am

+1 to what Ziggy and BnB said.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles