My first Porter

Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:59 am

Hey guys! I am gettting ready to make my first Porter. I usually am not that into porters, but I found a kit at Austin Homebrew that looks really good:
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_i ... s_id=13065
It is a whiskey barrel porter. It says you add whiskey barrel oak chips and whiskey to second fermenter. I am planning on letting it age for about 6 months. I have been brewing mainly lighter ales. I have done a few ambers and browns also. I just wanted to know what you guys think and if brewing a dark beer like this is any different. It looks really good.

P.S.- I am listening to the archives of the Sunday Session and I am just about 2-3 weeks past the anniversiary show. LOVE IT! and thanks to the brew casters, I am learning a lot. :jnj
humpadilo

Re: My first Porter

Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:06 am

If you haven't brewed a beer this strong before you're going to need more yeast than you usually pitch but other than that there's not a whole lot you need to change. If you are doing all grain you might need to look at your water and pH a little bit.
-"You want a beer?"
-"But it's 7am"
-"Scotch?"
ziggy

Re: My first Porter

Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:31 pm

My first beer was a porter but I lost the recipe after I had to reinstall windows, back your stuff up folks.

Anyways it was simple recipe, just can't remember it, I save a bottle and drank it a year later and it was even better. All grain too.
Fermenting: Black IPA, Barley Wine, Cider and Imperial Stout

Current man crush: Warren

Previous man crushes: Nathan, Tasty, JP and Justin

Future man crush: Maybe Jamil or Doc

:bnarmy: SGT ScottyB-Brewing :bnarmy:
ScottyB-Brewing

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles