Mcchouffe clone?

Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:04 pm

Hi after having Mcchouffe for the innumerable time, I thought about maybe brewing it.

I can't find a recipie but I have found some information on the matter.
It appears to be pilsner malt and dark candi syrup, bottle conditioned and very dry.

Thinking 75-80% pilsner malt the rest something like D-180 candi syrup
Light battering charge maybe 30-35 Ibu fom Styron goldings.
Low and slow mash and fermenting with Bastogne ale yeast

This is m first attempt at "cloning" a beer so any advice and pointers will be greatly appreciated
Cheers
j1m1

Re: Mcchouffe clone?

Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:41 am

j1m1 wrote:Hi after having Mcchouffe for the innumerable time, I thought about maybe brewing it.

It appears to be pilsner malt and dark candi syrup, bottle conditioned and very dry.

This is m first attempt at "cloning" a beer so any advice and pointers will be greatly appreciated
Cheers

I've never had the beer, and that beer is a hard one to find any information on. It seems that it's an 8% Scotch Ale that's been fermented with abbey ale yeast. As a starting point, I'd just look up Jamil's Strong Scottish Ale recipe, add the candi syrup for the dark fruit and toasted flavors, and ferment it with either Wyeast 1214 or White Labs 530. If it doesn't have the same types of flavors that you're looking for, I'd start substituting in Belgian specialty grains for the UK specialty grains, but leave the Scottish 2 Row base malt because, according to their marketing, something's making it Scottish and that could be it.
Come On Fulham!!

"...know your process, know your yeast." - Ozwald
BeaverBarber

Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:26 am

BeaverBarber wrote:
j1m1 wrote:Hi after having Mcchouffe for the innumerable time, I thought about maybe brewing it.

Cheers

I've never had the beer, and that beer is a hard one to find any information on. It seems that it's an 8% Scotch Ale that's been fermented with abbey ale yeast. As a starting point, I'd just look up Jamil's Strong Scottish Ale recipe, add the candi syrup for the dark fruit and toasted flavors, and ferment it with either Wyeast 1214 or White Labs 530. If it doesn't have the same types of flavors that you're looking for, I'd start substituting in Belgian specialty grains for the UK specialty grains, but leave the Scottish 2 Row base malt because, according to their marketing, something's making it Scottish and that could be it.

Wyeast 3522 is Chouffe's Yeast
Sqhead

Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:30 pm

Sqhead wrote:
BeaverBarber wrote:

Cheers

Wyeast 3522 is Chouffe's Yeast

So is WLP 550 by the sound of it, thanks
Fermenting; manuka smoked barley wine, 3203 red ale.
Bottled; too many,
Kegged; 60/-
On Deck; Count ding dong and inbred ding dong, belgian dark strong with/out brett.
Building; single tier brew system
j1m1

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles