Re: Amber Lager

Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:41 am

There may be such a thing as too long of a "D-rest", but it wouldn't be due to anything related to the diacetyl, but more just if you were leaving a beer sitting long enough that it went through normal degradation of desirable characters.... if you left a beer sitting for 3 months, I suppose you could call that a continuation of your D-rest, but I'd just call that lazy... :|
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:20 am

Autolysis, meaty flavor from sitting on dead yeast cells. But, that really takes quite a while in homebrewing practices. Sitting on primary yeast cake for months especially at raised temps.
A woman drove me to drink, and I never had the courtesy to thank her-W.C. Fields
scotchpine

Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:32 am

scotchpine wrote:Autolysis, meaty flavor from sitting on dead yeast cells. But, that really takes quite a while in homebrewing practices. Sitting on primary yeast cake for months especially at raised temps.

Yeah, not as much of a concern on a 5gal system as it is for the pros on a 30bbl system...
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:54 pm

I tried it yesterday and wasn't satisfied. I thought it had a metallic taste and wasn't very good. Then a day later I had a friend whose is a better brewer than me try it and he said it wasn't bad, just maybe boring. I tried it then and didn't have the same bad taste as it had earlier, so I am just going to leave it in the kezer and see how it goes.

Sergeant BN Army, Michigan Division

Kegged: Citra Pale Ale
Primary: Sour Sgt. Pepper Sasion
Sgt. Pepper Sasion
Amber Lager
mrbubba213

Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:10 am

A little D-Rest never hurts in my opinion. Just to be safe.
mtyquinn

Previous

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles