Style Suggestion?

Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:18 pm

I was wondering if people could suggest some styles I could brew right now. I have no way to control fermentation temperature. I am currently fermenting an Alt. I'm in Iowa with a cold basement that stays around 58*F. Thank you for the help.
Prairie_Fire

Re: Style Suggestion?

Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:09 am

Sounds like time to play with brewing a California Common and other hybrid beers. Whatever you brew, be sure to use a good size starter. The extra yeast cells will definitely be needed to kick off fermentation at those temperatures. I'm currently fermenting a rye cream ale. Due to me not paying attention, the first 36 hours of fermentation were at 57° but fermentation had definitely taken off in less than 12 hours. I've since brought it back up to 68° and it is rolling along just fine.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:00 pm

You can brew a really nice porter with California common yeast at those temps.
keelanfish

Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:48 pm

+1 to both of those suggestions.

Also, you can do Irish & Scottish Ales low and they come out great.

Finally, any true lager recipe can be pseudo-lagered at those temps with the Cal Common yeast.
They won't be the same as the true lager, but they will still be very, very tasty.

HTH-
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:46 pm

Pacman yeast from wyeast can ferment well at or around 60 for pseudo lager styles. I just did a dead Guy clone at 62 and it's tasting great. You will likely want to bring the fermentor upstairs for a rest after a week tho.
anday6

Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:30 pm

58 F is perfect for Kolsch ale and should be good for just about any English ale including porter and stout.
Dave

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our Maker, and glory to His bounty, by learning about... BEER!" - Friar Tuck (Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves)
dmtaylor

Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:09 am

The fermentation will generate a couple degrees of temperature. I'd say you could brew a hefewiezen. If you insulate your fermenter you could gain another degree or two.
Good Luck! :jnj
Keep on Brewin'
Captain Carrot

"Beer makes everything more fun!" (me)
captain carrot

Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:19 pm

captain carrot wrote:The fermentation will generate a couple degrees of temperature. I'd say you could brew a hefewiezen. If you insulate your fermenter you could gain another degree or two.
Good Luck! :jnj

Good tip! Even just wrapping your fermenter in a light blanket/towel can help to insulate it enough to raise the temps a few degrees to bring you in the low 60's which almost any style could be brewed (dependent on yeast strain of course).
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Next

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles