Re: Bugeater's Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Amber

Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:21 am

hawgwild wrote:This recipe sounds awesome! I would like to try and brew this...unfourtunatly I'm not set up to do all grain. Does anybody have an extract recipe for it?

I didn't notice any replies to this question regarding an extract recipe, so I thought I'd give it a bump. I'm not setup for all grain either, but I'd love to make something similar to this with extract...

Anyone have some recipe ideas?
In the fermenter: Nada

In the cellar: Super Citra APA

On deck: Bugeaters' Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Amber
DonMoleon

Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:46 am

DonMoleon wrote:
hawgwild wrote:This recipe sounds awesome! I would like to try and brew this...unfourtunatly I'm not set up to do all grain. Does anybody have an extract recipe for it?

I didn't notice any replies to this question regarding an extract recipe, so I thought I'd give it a bump. I'm not setup for all grain either, but I'd love to make something similar to this with extract...

Anyone have some recipe ideas?

I would replace the two row with 4 pounds of pale malt LME, and the Munich malt with 1 pound of Munich LME. I would steep the flaked oats and Crystal malt at 170F for a half hour (?). It's been a long time since I steeped grain, so I don't remember how I used to do it. Then just follow the recipe.

Let us know how it turns out.
"Mash, I made you my bitch!" -Tasty
Dirk McLargeHuge
Global Moderator

Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:11 am

Dirk McLargeHuge wrote: I would steep the flaked oats and Crystal malt at 170F for a half hour (?). It's been a long time since I steeped grain, so I don't remember how I used to do it.

Not gonna get much besides starch from the flaked oats just steeping them. Look up how to do a mini mash, it's a small step towards all grain, but doesn't require a bunch of new equipment. Basically you'd want a pound or so of the base malt, the flaked and crystal, put them in a mesh bag in ~1 gallon of water at the mash temp for an hour, then pull the bag out and go from there.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:50 am

spiderwrangler wrote:
Dirk McLargeHuge wrote: I would steep the flaked oats and Crystal malt at 170F for a half hour (?). It's been a long time since I steeped grain, so I don't remember how I used to do it.

Not gonna get much besides starch from the flaked oats just steeping them. Look up how to do a mini mash, it's a small step towards all grain, but doesn't require a bunch of new equipment. Basically you'd want a pound or so of the base malt, the flaked and crystal, put them in a mesh bag in ~1 gallon of water at the mash temp for an hour, then pull the bag out and go from there.

That's true. And now that I think about it, steeping is a baby step partial mash. Where were you when I was starting out? :oops:
"Mash, I made you my bitch!" -Tasty
Dirk McLargeHuge
Global Moderator

Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:20 am

Right here, waiting for you.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:06 am

To make this easy, just like what spidey said. For a mash temp, 152 is about perfect.

That's all a mash really is. It's just like steeping, but you are much more particular about the temperature and pH.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:20 am

BDawg wrote:To make this easy, just like what spidey said. For a mash temp, 152 is about perfect.

That's all a mash really is. It's just like steeping, but you are much more particular about the temperature and pH.

I've steeped grains before for some stouts, and the mini mash doesn't sound much different, so I'm happy to take my next step towards all-grain. I think this beer is a great excuse for me to do so...

Thanks guys

DonMoleon

Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:36 pm

One final question...

I don't have access to liquid yeast, so what dry yeast should I use as a substitute?

DonMoleon

PreviousNext

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles