Re: Pliny The Elder Recipe in Zymurgy

Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:08 pm

Got 2 responses:

From the AHA
There are corrections to the Pliny The Elder recipe as it is printed in Zymurgy. The corrections are for the fermentables needed to achieve the 1.070 gravity.

You’ll need to change the recipe as follows. The recipe that was provided to us listed all the fermentable ingredients in percentages. The recipe is for a net of 5 gallons after the hops loss, but fermentables should be calculated for 6 gallons before hops loss.
This works out for 6 gallons at 1.070 with 75% efficiency and the proper % of each ingredient:

13.25 lb Pale Malt
0.6 lb Crystal
0.6 lb cara-Pils
0.75 lb corn sugar

From Vinnie:

I actually don’t have those numbers, I probably did at some point but it has been some time since I brewed the PTE as a homebrew recipe. Really that recipe is supposed to be a starting point for brewers to plug into their recipe formula and go from there.

Vinnie
http://www.embracethefunk.com <----My Sour Beer Website

PRIVATE FIRST CLASS- The BN Army: Dirty South Squadron
Proud 2010 Fallen Soldier Winner
Proud 2009 Caller of the Year Nominee

POLLO ASADO!
Brandon

Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:43 pm

I personally really like and have had great success with the PTE clone from Brewing Classic Styles, which btw, does not have Carapils.

The hops are different too, and I friggin LOVE the way it turns out.
herbaljoe

Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:50 pm

thanks for doing the research! I may brew this one in the fall. I'm starting some lagers late summer.
Primary: Nada Damn Thing IPA
Secondary: ESB
Kegged: Jack Schittenweiss
BigNastyBrew

Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:10 pm

Brewsource says this about carapils:

Carapils (Dextrine) Malt
Carapils (Dextrine) Malt Balances body and flavor without adding color or sweetness. A lighter crystal type malt, the Dextrines add body, mouth-feel as well as head retention. They are best when mashed with your pale malt due to the lack of enzymes. Use 5-20% for these characteristics and without adding color.
Type: Specialty Grain
In Stock Color L: 1.5 L
Typical Color L: 1.5
Produced by: Briess (American)

Major faux pas on the grain. I had this one queued up for Sunday, so thanks for pointing that out.

Just ran the recipe through Beersmith and get 272 IBU. I think it's not accounting for utilization for some reason.

Charlie
"Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
Charlie

Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:02 am

I made this recipe Tuesday, and it's burping away in the FC at 68 F. The only issue is that I forgot to add the dextrose, but I hit 1.072 anyway, so I'm gonna let it ride. Next time I'll put the dextrose in and see if it makes a difference.

Charlie
"Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
Charlie

Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:03 pm

Got my first taste of the Pliny. It's interesting.

FG is 1.016, and yet the body seems light. The carbonation (24H) is still a bit light too. I'm not sure how the missing 3/4 lb of dextrose would have affected the outcome.

The hop aroma and flavor seems to have a lot of dogshit character to it. I will re-visit this subject tomorrow or the next day when the brew has had time to carbonate adequately.

One thing I definitely take away from this: I hate pellet hops! The freaking things made a puffy cap on the beer, then plugged up the racking cane. Some of them even racked into the keg. I got a 1/2 sink full of mud trying to clean out the fermenter. I am never going to buy pellet hops if leaf is available. OK, I didn't last time (leaf wasn't available), but just so you know.

I feel like I've got my dry hop technique down, so gonna try the Green Flash again in the near future.

Charlie (will add simcoe, columbus, crystal and centennial leaf to his next hop order)
Charlie

Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:29 pm

I needed another corny for the Beer Festival this weekend, and el Pliny clone was going overtime in the keg. So I decided to Beer Gun the remaining Pliny into some bottles.

I had never actually used the beer gun in its intended role.I bought it because I thought it was a cool bottling cane. Didn't realize it was for bottling carbonated kegged beer (damn expensive bottling cane!). Anyway, it came in handy this eve.

The Beer Gun thing works pretty good. I started out at 15 psi, which is way too much pressure, but dropped it after the first bottle and was soon bottling carbonated kegged beer with very little foam.

Got 24 bottles of Pliny in the fridge. This shit is good! And I don't mean dog shit. That aroma/flavor went away after 5 days in the keg (?).

I am definitely going to do this one again. The only downer is that it's 26 lbs of grain now that I've gone to 10 gallon batches. That's gonna kill my sack!

Charlie (he said sack!)
Charlie

Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:44 am

Brewing this weekend and have some questions. First I could not get whole hops so its all pellets. Any change needed in amounts? Second does anyone know what the suggested water profile should be for this? My current profile is CA-31, MG-11, NA-8, CL-14, CaCO3-100, SO4-28
ThatguyRyan

PreviousNext

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles