Tasty: Water Profile

Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:47 am

Hey Tasty, What is the water profile of Janets Brown Ale?

Thanks!

:bnarmy:
Sergeant: BN Army - Michigan Brewing Division

I've been pounding Chad's Dunkel all night.

- Doc

Twitter: @adammmills Follow me, yo!

http://thosewhocantteachbrew.blogspot.com
Mills

Re: Tasty: Water Profile

Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:30 pm

Mills wrote:Hey Tasty, What is the water profile of Janets Brown Ale?

Thanks!

Same as every beer I make. Ca-110ppm, Mg-18ppm, Na-17ppm, SO4-350ppm, Cl-50ppm. Although I'm going to change it for some lagers. I think they would benefit from a change.

Tasty
yep, yep, yep, yep

Next up:
JBA Light
Fermenting:
nada
Serving:
Rauchbier (ugh!)
TastyMcD

Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:22 am

TastyMcD wrote:
Same as every beer I make. Ca-110ppm, Mg-18ppm, Na-17ppm, SO4-350ppm, Cl-50ppm. Although I'm going to change it for some lagers. I think they would benefit from a change.

Tasty

tasty....if you are using RO water, how do you get 18ppm Mg? I know that you are most likely adding MgSO4, but how do you know that you are adding as little as 18ppm Mg? what kind of a scale are you using? and how do you measure your water volume accurately? Or are the numbers you posted just target values and you don't really mind if they are off by +/-10%.

if you were going to make 10 gallons of water (38L) with 18ppm Mg by adding MgSO4 anhydrous, you'd have to add 3.386g of MgSO4.....most likely you added the hydrated form, MgSO4*7 H2O, in which case you'd be adding 6.937g of hydrated MgSO4. I always wondered if having a scale that can accurately measure these low weights was worth it because it's nearly impossible to accurately measure out a 10 gallon volume and not be off by 5% even if you used laboratory grade calibrated glassware.

after all its just beer right? i don't think that the yeast will mind.
suck it
boobookittyfuk

Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:29 am

TastyMcD wrote:
Mills wrote:Hey Tasty, What is the water profile of Janets Brown Ale?

Thanks!

Tasty

Tasty-

Do you build this water or is it just what comes out of your tap? If the latter, what is your total alkalinity ?
"If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
Elbone

Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:53 am

Elbone wrote:Do you build this water or is it just what comes out of your tap? If the latter, what is your total alkalinity ?

I start with RO water.

Tasty
yep, yep, yep, yep

Next up:
JBA Light
Fermenting:
nada
Serving:
Rauchbier (ugh!)
TastyMcD

Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:00 pm

Would you mind telling me exactly what salts and stuff go in in whatever measures?
Sergeant: BN Army - Michigan Brewing Division

I've been pounding Chad's Dunkel all night.

- Doc

Twitter: @adammmills Follow me, yo!

http://thosewhocantteachbrew.blogspot.com
Mills

Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:42 am

okay... I give up... I'm plugging your water profile into Palmer's spreadsheet and I can't get the RA to work out out with SO4 at 350 and CA at 110. Tasty, would you mind sharing your salt additions that make up your water profile?
Gary
Big Tex Brewing
---------------------------------------------
Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour.
Teach a man to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.
- ANONYMOUS
Big Tex

Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:07 am

TastyMcD wrote:Same as every beer I make. Ca-110ppm, Mg-18ppm, Na-17ppm, SO4-350ppm, Cl-50ppm. Although I'm going to change it for some lagers. I think they would benefit from a change.Tasty

Is that in the mash or in the finished beer? If it is the finished beer have you ever run into uninfected gushers from oxalate crystals forming? The guys from Moon River said they try and keep Ca below 80ppm in the finished beer for that reason. I've been keeping Ca around 100ppm for pretty much every beer and have not had that problem...as far as I know!
What's on tap: Cream Ale, Imperial Blonde
Secondary: British Amber,
Primary: APA
http://bubrew.org
DannyW

Next

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles