Re: flanders

Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:27 am

positiverpr wrote:sorry i ordered the wlp655 and not the wyeast. i know its not the same i just was tired when i posted the first time.

OMG. I had a Monk's Cafe last night, so good!! I would buy a couple of the Roselare if available!

What is the best temp to age a Flanders?
Enjoy Great Beer!

:bnarmy: San Diego Special OP's BN Army :bnarmy:
TapItGood

Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:47 am

positiverpr wrote:sorry i ordered the wlp655 and not the wyeast. i know its not the same i just was tired when i posted the first time.

well then you are screwed :lol:
http://www.embracethefunk.com <----My Sour Beer Website

PRIVATE FIRST CLASS- The BN Army: Dirty South Squadron
Proud 2010 Fallen Soldier Winner
Proud 2009 Caller of the Year Nominee

POLLO ASADO!
Brandon

Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:33 pm

OMG. I had a Monk's Cafe last night, so good!! I would buy a couple of the Roselare if available!

What is the best temp to age a Flanders?

Flanders reds rock.

I would age at Flanders at 65 to 68. JZ said keeping the temp steady was key. It was OK if the room fluctuated over the course of a year, but big swings during the day would be bad for the microherd.
Find success in college, work with a college success coach at http://www.deliberateliving.org/
Tom from Raleigh

Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:45 pm

I haven't brewed with that 655, but me and Aquariumdrinker brewed a Flanders with roselaire as the primary fermenter. It is in the secondary, at about 5 months old and it is definitely not overly sour or horsey. It needs to pick up a little more sourness before bottling.

I think you can probably get a good flanders out of using that 655 if your grain bill is right. What you might get is a little cleaner sourness without as much acetic acid.

If I were using 655, I would probably start with a neutral ale yeast and then pitch that in secondary. I know a guy that makes amazing lambics and that is how he does it all the time. You might not need to blend it with another beer.
Chupa LaHomebrew

Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:16 pm

Brian Perkey wrote:+1 on no starter for the blends as it tweaks the percentages.

We will be releasing the Roeselare again this spring and I am trying to talk the folks upstairs to put it on full time.

Anyone know if the Roeselare 3763 has been released this year?
PFC BN Army - Tactical Hop Command
Fermenting - Kolsch, Blonde Ale
Kegged: Flanders Brown
Aging: Brown Lambic, Chocolate Porter
President and Chief Bottle Washer - HopRunner Brewing
~Ross
HopRunner

Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:24 am

HopRunner wrote:Anyone know if the Roeselare 3763 has been released this year?

It is part of the April - June VSS series, so if it isn't in stores yet it will be soon. The other two are also funky, Brett C, and a "Trappist" blend with Brett (which must be Orval based).

I love Roeselare, but I think it benefits from the dregs from a few bottles of sour beer. It just isn't sour/funky enough for me, even when used in primary.
oldsock

Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:13 am

I just ordered some Roselare from NB today....
"Get your fat ass back here!"
"Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm"

Stewie
:bnarmy:
Stewbacca

Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:40 am

Stewbacca wrote:I just ordered some Roselare from NB today....
Thanks for the heads up!

I wonder how the Roselare compares with White Labs Belgian Sour Mix I? I might have to do two batches to find out. My local HBS only carries White Labs product for liquid yeast which is a bummer because I would like access to all the yeast available without having to mail order.

I wonder how long the Roselare blend lasts? Maybe I will order a few packages and stash some in the fridge.
PFC BN Army - Tactical Hop Command
Fermenting - Kolsch, Blonde Ale
Kegged: Flanders Brown
Aging: Brown Lambic, Chocolate Porter
President and Chief Bottle Washer - HopRunner Brewing
~Ross
HopRunner

PreviousNext

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles