Slight rubbery aftertaste...

Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:49 pm

I have made about 20 to 30 witbiers now, and I've noticed an odd rubbery aftertaste on occasion. I can't decide whether the aftertaste is coming from the yeast (wyeast 3944) or the curacao orange peel (.5 oz. in 5 gal. from Brewer's Garden). I'm sure it's not the grain bill, because I made the beer with extract and all grain with same results. The yeast was very healthy only packaged a week ago, and I pitched 2 liters. I fermented for 15 days then racked to a keg, so I have ruled out autolysis. I am wondering if temperature could be a factor, or if the orange peel maybe causing the off flavor. Has anyone had this happen to them? Any ideas?
EJHintz

Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:35 pm

Eric im wondering if its a fermentation temp problem? have you changed anything there?

as far as autolysis its concerned it tastes like vegimite
Thank God All Mighty For Titties and Beer
Ozbrewer

Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:48 am

I have heard of off rubbery tastes in other's beers before but I think in those cases it had more to do with the old rubber boot they were drinking out of.

I've noticed in most cases when people mention a rubbery taste, all fingers do tend to point to autolysis. Palmer describes it as "At a minimum, a beer that has experienced autolysis will have a burnt rubber taste and smell and will probably be undrinkable. At worst it will be unapproachable." (http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter10-3.html) But 15 days doesn't sound like it would be long enough to be the culprit and your is drinkable I'm gathering.

Just as a note another definition I noticed of the word skunky went:
Skunky: A taste and smell suggestive of a skunk, overcooked cabbage or burnt rubber caused by bad handling, exposure to sunlight or fluorescent lighting.

Pretty general though. Bad handling could mean a lot of different things I guess.

I would look into your temp theory but an option to truely rule out autolysis might be raking after a week and seeing if it makes a difference.
Gabbo

Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:53 am

unless you have pitched a 3 gallon starter and fermented at 90 deg c you wont get autolysis in a week

if you rely want to taste what autolysis is lie, take a 24oz bottle o beer and simmer it doen to 2 oz and taste it....same flavor
Thank God All Mighty For Titties and Beer
Ozbrewer

Return to Brewing Ingredients