Re: First Pilsner!

Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:14 pm

So sorry for the late reply. As for using the yeast any time soon, no. Due to the fact that my fridge is at lagering temperature and I can't get a bucket and keg in there at the same time. What did it look like hmmm, well there was some floating on top of the vessel which looked a little bit like chewed gum!! I tasted it and it tasted fine, as for the rest I didn't taste it was very fluffy big clumps.

I also try and rack over clear wort but I always take a little trub also to help the yeast out. So the yeast that I did harvest is in clean jars with the lagering bier at 1 c (32f). I took a taste this past Sunday after one week at those temperatures, the first bit was yeasty but it cleared up! Smelled great and tasted WONDERFUL!!

I'm going to give it a taste once a week just to see how it develops. I also checked on the yeast to vent the jars everything was pretty much settled out until I opened the lid , then everything flew to the top of the jars!! I've never seen this happen with ale yeast. This brew has truly been a very interesting experience!.!

How is your bock doing?

DB!!
Daddy Biers

Re: First Pilsner!

Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:12 am

After about 9 days at 49F, the bock fermentation started to slow a bit so I bumped it up to 52F for a couple days and last night bumped it to 54F. Smells good now but had a bit of sulfur blowing off the first 3 days or so. Hoping this one attenuates well. I would be happy anywhere between 1.016 and 1.020.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Brewing Ingredients