Question on using sulfites to sanitize fruit

Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:04 pm

What's up everyone. First time posting :jnj
Listened to the Flat Tail episode where Dave Marleyeivee was talking about sanitizing fruit using sulfites. Anyone have any HB experience with this method? Looks like Sodium Bisulfite is common but most articles I've found are geared toward wine making.
I'm about to split a batch of lambic onto some fruit from my backyard and am wondering if any of you guys have any tips (i.e. PPM, length of time, etc.)

Thanks.
jaimethelimey

Re: Question on using sulfites to sanitize fruit

Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:49 pm

Welcome!

Since it's dealing with fruit, the wine making practices should be sufficient.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Re: Question on using sulfites to sanitize fruit

Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:38 am

Depending on how far along your lambic is, the brett and bacteria should have a good foothold in the beer allowing it to overpopulate anything wild introduced, especially in a low pH environment.
Whenever I brew with fruit I simply let the washed fruit sit in starsan before cutting it up and freezing it fir a couple days before adding it to the beer. This minimizes the wild bacteria load introduced and freezing helps to rupture the cell walls of the fruit making the sugars more accessible.
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Return to Brewing Ingredients