Hops IBU ?

Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:54 am

Hi ya all, I've been away from brewing for awhile and just starting to get back into it I'm doing a APA the recipe
IBU is 40 with the hops AA I'm using I get 30 IBU should I just increase the 60min hops to bring it up to 40 IBU or
lift my two lots of 10min hops as well.

Thanks Daza.
Daznz

Re: Hops IBU ?

Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:00 am

When adjusting recipes to account for the actual hop AA% levels that I buy as opposed to the levels the recipe author used when they formulated the recipe, I generally keep the 20 minute and later addition weights the same, under the premise that the aromatics and flavor will be generally the same regardless of how much alpha is present in the hops. Then, I take the bittering additions and add or subtract them to achieve the target IBU level.

I also will sometimes slide the 60 min addition forward or backwards (max deviation from 90 to 45 mins), if necessary, but generally just adding a little more or less will cover it.

HTH-
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:16 am

There are many possibilities, it's really up to you. If you're happy with the amount of late hops just increase the 60 m addition. It's going to take a lot less hops @ 60 m compared to 10. Or, you could leave it alone. 30 IBU's is still within range for an APA.
hoodie

Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:16 pm

Cheers thanks for your help guys I just saw in the recipe it does have the IBU for each hop addition :oops: I will see how it looks adjusting it to that. :D

Daza
Daznz

Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:55 pm

No, don't adjust the ibus in the late additions. Just recaluculate what the same weight at those times will contribute and only change the 60 minute addition to compensate. Doing it that way keeps the flavor and aroma components the same, and then changing the 60 only will allow you to bring the total IBUs back in line to the same target.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:07 am

Ok all good got ya
Daznz

Return to Brewing Ingredients