Re: What's happened to Midwest Supplies?

Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:12 pm

Ozwald wrote:The fact that I grew up in Michigan was just an unfortunate circumstance. :)

That's true for most from the State Up North.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:22 pm

I ordered some rhizomes from them earlier this year. One of them was snapped in half, another had mold/mildew on it (downey mildew?). Of the 4 I ordered, one of them took off and is doing amazing. The other were bunk. Ordered five from hops direct and they were the beefiest hop rhizomes I ever saw and took off instantly.

Also, I got a catalog from midwest a few days ago. It looked A LOT like the NB catalog and is the first from them I have ever received. I always get NB catalogs. Might just be a coincidence.
Primary -
Secondary:
Kegged: Gangnam Style IIPA, Kentucky Breakfast Stout Clone, Oak Aged Robut Porter, Your mom
Upcoming Brew Schedule: Winter Warmer, Cider, APA

:bnarmy: PFC, BN Army :bnarmy:
noremorse1

Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:49 pm

noremorse1 wrote:I ordered some rhizomes from them earlier this year. One of them was snapped in half, another had mold/mildew on it (downey mildew?). Of the 4 I ordered, one of them took off and is doing amazing. The other were bunk. Ordered five from hops direct and they were the beefiest hop rhizomes I ever saw and took off instantly.

Also, I got a catalog from midwest a few days ago. It looked A LOT like the NB catalog and is the first from them I have ever received. I always get NB catalogs. Might just be a coincidence.

No coincidence. Northern Brewer bought them out. A friend who went to NB is under the impression Midwest is just a shipping warehouse running on a skeleton crew.
mobrewer

Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:56 pm

mobrewer wrote:
noremorse1 wrote:I ordered some rhizomes from them earlier this year. One of them was snapped in half, another had mold/mildew on it (downey mildew?). Of the 4 I ordered, one of them took off and is doing amazing. The other were bunk. Ordered five from hops direct and they were the beefiest hop rhizomes I ever saw and took off instantly.

No coincidence. Northern Brewer bought them out. A friend who went to NB is under the impression Midwest is just a shipping warehouse running on a skeleton crew.

Haha I have some friends who only buy from them because they hate NB. haha. Who would of thought the homebrewing world would see conglomerate companies.
My Homebrewing Adventures/Blog

Image @Lewybrewing
________
Corporal BN Army. South San Diego Platoon, TJ Protection Force
Lewybrewing

Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:35 am

I received the new catalog from Midwest this week. Looks like NB's catalog with Midwest printed on the front.
Sqhead

Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:42 pm

mobrewer wrote:No coincidence. Northern Brewer bought them out. A friend who went to NB is under the impression Midwest is just a shipping warehouse running on a skeleton crew.

The other way around I believe. Midwest's CEO is now the CEO of NB according to his LinkedIn page.
MNHazmat

Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:39 pm

MNHazmat wrote:
mobrewer wrote:No coincidence. Northern Brewer bought them out. A friend who went to NB is under the impression Midwest is just a shipping warehouse running on a skeleton crew.

The other way around I believe. Midwest's CEO is now the CEO of NB according to his LinkedIn page.

Considering the size of the two companies, I find that a little hard to believe (not the CEO part, but MW buying NB). Wasn't MW going through a tough time anyways? Sounds like some sort of merger happened anyways.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:12 pm

From a sales end of things MW is much larger than Northern Brewer, much to my surprise. I only know this because for whatever reason one of the local newspapers had a story on them months ago and various insider knowledge. From what I'm hearing a merger is either in the works or very likely to happen.
Afterlab

PreviousNext

Return to Brewing Ingredients