Mulberries

Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:17 pm

Crap! Was out mowing tonight and noticed that the mulberries are starting to form. That means that the birds will be shitting purple everywhere. :x On the other hand, they also present a brewing opportunity. Has anyone out there brewed with mulberries? I was thinking along the lines of a mulberry wheat brewed with some cascade and amarillo hops with a little lemon zest and coriander. Any thoughts out there?
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Re: Mulberries

Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:13 am

Bugeater wrote:Any thoughts out there?

Just that you should send a couple bottles to Ozwald's Sensory Analysis Lab :D

I can't remember the last time I had mulberry anything. My only real thought would be if that flavor would clash with over citrusy hops. Not saying it would, but maybe something woody/earthy? Maybe NB or Magnum? Just a thought.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Re: Mulberries

Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:35 am

I just picked some mulberries off the tree the other day and to me the flavor is pretty unremarkable - they were very juicy but with just a mild sweetness. The Sunset Garden Book describes the flavor as "insipid". This was from a weed tree that was grown from a seed that a bird pooped out, I know that specialty cultivated (grafted) varieties like the white kind or giant Persian mulberries have a more pronounced flavor.

I bet the color will come through more than the flavor if you brew with it... It seems that the sweetness would ferment out, leaving very little flavor behind. If you do use them, post how it turns out!
Beer_Baron

Return to Brewing Ingredients