Re: dry yeast

Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:36 pm

All of the fermentis dry yeast products are quite good and will yield excellent results with proper temperature control.

To rehydrate -

1. boil 1 cup or so of filtered water (not distilled) for 5 min. in a small saucepan.
2. The last 2 min. place the lid of the saucepan on so it too can be sanitized from the steam.
3. Cool the water down to about 90-100F. I never take a temp and simply wait till the saucepan feels warm but not hot. (have never had a problem doing this).
4. Sanitize scissors and the yeast packet with starsan.
5. Cut open yeast packet and shake/pour yeast onto surface of boiled/cooled water.
6. Replace lid on saucepan and let sit for 15 min.
7. Swirl saucepan to suspend yeast and then pour directly into your fermenter. (I also sanitize the outside of the saucepan and lid before pouring b/c I am an anal bastard!)
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Re: dry yeast

Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:31 am

I'm using Danstar Nottingham and S-04 in 5 gal each of an ESB. Fermenting quite well now and have had good luck with both in the past.
graybeerd

Previous

Return to Brewing Ingredients