Wild Rice

Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:12 pm

I've had the beer mentioned in the article and it's quite good. Anyone have any experience using wild rice in your process? How well did it mash? Since the grains are so thin I imagine it's a bitch to mill. Perhaps a cereal mash is required?

http://alcoholbyvolumeblog.wordpress.co ... mn-top-25/
MNHazmat

Re: Wild Rice

Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:01 pm

If it's minute wild rice, nothing needs to be done. It can just be thrown in the mash. No need to mill unless you want to. If you mill it, a corona mill would probably be best. Otherwise, just treat it like flaked oats, corn, or rice.

If using the regular wild rice/full cook version, then yes, a cereal mash would be appropriate.
Hoser
Hoser

Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:19 pm

ive used instant brown rice in an american lager and it turned out quite good...scored a 40 at our local comp in august...and Hoser is correct, if its instant just throw it in the mash, if not you need to do a cereal mash...I think how to brew has a really good explanation of this process if I'm not mistaken

Cheers! :pop
On Deck: porter, berliner weisse
Fermenting: xtra pale
In the keg/bottle: golden delicious apple cider, brown rice lager, german pils
EL TIZZO

Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:15 pm

Real wild rice is WAY different than brown rice and as far as I know, there's no such thing as "minute wild rice".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_rice
MNHazmat

Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:43 pm

Northbound Brewpub in MPLS had some sort of Wild Rice beer on tap but the supply has been tapped every time I've been there. I've never used it but that beer seems to be a hit. May have to try it this summer when I have an open carboy.
Afterlab

Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:35 pm

When I have used it, I cook it separately for about an hour and then add it to the mash. Typically I do this the night before so I don't have to deal with the temperature swing it would cause if it were used right after cooking. Flavor contribution is not that great, but adds a slight nuttiness. If you wanted to add it directly to the mash, I might use a coffee grinder and make almost a powder out of it to eliminate the need for cooking.
pepperford

Return to Brewing Ingredients