Single hop beers?

Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:50 am

Apart from specifically labeled "single hop" series beers, what commercial beers contain a single type of hop? I was listening to a Session from last year (the Tied House episode) and they mentioned that Sierra Nevada is a single hop beer. I had no idea. I'm looking at educating myself about different hops and, while I'll pick up the single hop labels I can find, what other beers does everyone except me know are single hopped?

Thanks all!

Toasty
Toasty

Re: Single hop beers?

Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:59 am

Sierra Nevada may have been at some point, but according to the info on their site, it isn't. http://www.sierranevada.com/beers/paleale.html

There are likely lots of beers that are single hopped, but where hops are not playing any sort of prominent role (only a bittering addition, etc).
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:00 am

Mikkeller had a 10 or so beer series using single hops. It was great and they did a good job of brewing the same beer using different hops over and over. It really let you see the difference between the varieties. That was a couple years ago so now you are just going to have to keep your eyes open. I see a single hop beer ever now and then. Deschutes did one using only the original strain of cascade, you might still be able to find that one.

The best way is to just brew a single hop series yourself. Brew the same beer four times and only change the variety of the hop, keep the bitterness the same and the dry hop or aroma additions the same.
BrewerJ

Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:15 am

Bell's Two-Hearted is all Centennial. I believe Anchor Steam is all Northern Brewer. Deschutes' website claims Mirror Pond is all Cascade.
siwelwerd

Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:55 pm

Oscar Blues Gubna is all Summit. I said wow!
A woman drove me to drink, and I never had the courtesy to thank her-W.C. Fields
scotchpine

Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:32 am

Stone uses only Ahtanum hops in their Pale Ale.

Smart idea comparing single hop beers to get a better idea of what different hops can do for your beer. Here's a blog post I did with the same idea. http://www.kswbeer.com/2012/03/ahtanum-vs-chinook-single-hop-ipa.html

Hope its helpful for you.
kswbeer

Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:08 pm

Sam Adams did a lattitude 48 single hop 12 pack a while ago. Two of each, Simcoe, Ahtanum, Columbus, East Kent Goldings, Hallertau, and original Lattitude 48. Simcoe was the stand out. Using that hop is like cheating. I don't know if its how different the hops, are or if the base beers were different, because the EKG showed some diacetyl. Wonder if they hopped to the same target IBU's also. Either way it was pretty interesting.

I've been planning on comparing 6 or so hops at a time by boiling up some wort, and dividing it into 6 different mason jars, each with a different hop, and letting it rest hot for 20 minutes. Then chilling and dosing with a bit of dry yeast. Just gotta figure out a way to control fermentation temps. I'll let you know when I get around to this.

Or I guess you could compare the dry hop character of an unlimited # of hops by just adding a couple pellets to bottles of of any subtly flavored beer. Let them sit for a few days and pour carefully. I do this all the time with commercial beers. Sierra Nevada tumbler is great with a decent size centennial pellet. Hey, gotta find something to do with the freezer full of partial ounces of hops. One of these days I'm gonna be glad I have 3 year old EKG and Saaz for my lambics.
andrewgator

Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:53 pm

Just got back from a road trip to San Fran with the family. Had Russian River's Single Hop Simcoe - good stuff - great chance to see what a hop can do to the beer.
Conical Fermenter - Amber Lager
Keg#1 Dunkel
Keg#2 Helles
Keg#3 Flanders Red
Keg#4 Star San
Keg#5 Star San
Keg#6 Star San
Kbar

Next

Return to Brewing Ingredients