Re: Acorn Beer?

Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:53 pm

Cliff wrote:
crawfow wrote: How could one come up with a recipe to replicate this historical brew?

Easy. Just get yourself some acorns, toast 'em in the oven, grind them into a grainy flour and mix that into your Tun with the malt.
Then starch test test for conversion.

Ya might do a test run with some cheap 2 row just to see if the enzymes will convert the chestnut starches.
You might want to experiment with protein rests too because they are so very dense with protein.

The "beer" they brewed may not have been beer at all though.
The word beer gets used for pretty much any alcoholic drink that can't be labeled wine because of some effete sensibility about what wine is - or isn't.

It might have been like prison hooch or potato booze or whatever. They might have used a baker's yeast to ferment for the alcohol and then just strained it.

I tend to agree with the last part more. If you wanted to brew an authentic, historic example, I think you would have to lose the malt. They didn't have it and that's why they turned to acorns. That's why they used pumpkins. That's why the native Americans used corn.
"Mash, I made you my bitch!" -Tasty
Dirk McLargeHuge
Global Moderator

Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:03 am

The San Miguel brewery made an 8% ABV historical beer with acorns a few years ago; so it's not unprecedented...

Researchers at the University of Barcelona analyzed drinking vats in several archaeological sites around Barcelona (the caves of Can Sadurni, Geno, Cova del Calvari, and Loma de la Tejeria); the sites were dated from 5000 B.C. to around 300 AD and they found traces of a barley, emmer-wheat beer that was supplemented with acorn flour and honey.

San Miguel's version took a little poetic license and used Spanish-grown emmer wheat, barley, rosemary, and thyme, and mint. It was never sold and was only made for the first International Congress on Beer in Prehistory and Antiquity in 2004.

-Thank you Dr. Patrick McGovern and "Uncorking the Past" for this information!

Adam
biertourist

Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:00 am

biertourist wrote:San Miguel's version took a little poetic license and used Spanish-grown emmer wheat, barley, rosemary, and thyme, and mint.

So were there any acorns in it?
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:33 pm

the top post was done in January.
I guess it'll be late October or November before we hear whether the acorn fermentation was a success.
HEY~!! It's a hobby~!! It's NOT supposed to make sense~!!
Cliff

Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:58 am

It will take me that long to digest all the information and come up with a strategy for the whole process. Hell, it takes me 20 minutes to take a piss.
If I piss myself, please take my beer away! Thanks!
When I dress in drag, I look just like Momma.
crawfow

Previous

Return to Brewing Ingredients