scored some "mystery hops"

Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:01 am

A co worker found out I was a brewer and she said "would you like some hops?". :bnarmy: :D

Turns out they planted a hop bine 6 years ago just to see if they could grow it, and it's been growing over a trellis in their yard every year since. They just look at it... don't use the harvest at all. Until now, because now I get the harvest!

At first they had no idea the variety, then they dug through some records and it's Nugget from the Gurney Seed Co. She gave me 3 giant salad containers full of cones this week, I've been drying them in front of a fan on window screens and they are drying out nicely. I'll get them bagged and in the freezer this weekend.

So - now that I have a bunch of alleged Nugget hop flowers, any suggestions? Looks like a high alpha bittering hop, anyone have any solid recommendations for a cool use?

Thanks
Society of Northeast Ohio Brewers (SNOBs)
Cleveland, Ohio http://www.beersnobs.net
BN Private First Class - Snowbelt Battalion
Todd

Re: scored some "mystery hops"

Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:18 pm

Nugget will go nice in a Porter or Stout.
Pretty neutral hop, with nice aromatics. Cohumulone is on the high-ish side. It'll stand up well against the dark malts.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:28 am

Thanks for the reply.

After drying on my homemade screen/fan rig I was able to pack 3.5 one- gallon Ziploc bags pretty tightly with dried flowers, that should be enough to bitter the heck out of something big and dark...
Society of Northeast Ohio Brewers (SNOBs)
Cleveland, Ohio http://www.beersnobs.net
BN Private First Class - Snowbelt Battalion
Todd

Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:33 pm

Nugget is also a great hop for a nice malty bitter blasted red ale! It is pretty spicey and enjoyable when used for bittering. Just be sure to figure your AA% on the low end for that hop as you don't really know what the true percentage is.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Return to Brewing Ingredients